Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Library (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Norrath in a Nutshell: A Beginner's Guide (/forums/showthread.php?t=41480)

Dumbledorf 07-01-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ektar (Post 326002)
also pretty sure hybrid exp penalty is 40%, not 45%.

when I said it was too long and I won't read it I obv~ lied. I'm hitting pieces here and there :p

You're right, it's 40%. I think that was a slip on my part. Thanks again!

Estu 07-01-2011 10:44 PM

I haven't heard of AGI being more useful for a monk than for any other class. AGI affects AC and avoidance, so it's good for anyone who's going to be getting hit, but STR and STA are just as important for monks, if not more so.

Dumbledorf 07-02-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estu (Post 326019)
I haven't heard of AGI being more useful for a monk than for any other class. AGI affects AC and avoidance, so it's good for anyone who's going to be getting hit, but STR and STA are just as important for monks, if not more so.

Granted, maybe I'm operating on ancient information there. I was of the impression that monks really needed AC, and that they received notable defense increases at 100, like other characters do at 75.

Such was the belief back when I played anyway. It may be informed by a bad understanding of how the stats worked, as there was a lot of confusion about that back then. I'll try to find more information on this and I'll change it if it is erroneous.

Krait 07-03-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dumbledorf
Norrath in a Nutshell: A Beginner's Guide

Awesome! Mind if I add this to the p99 wiki for you? Dumbledorf's Norrath in a Nutshell: A Beginner's Guide sounds like the perfect title. What say you?

Dumbledorf 07-03-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krait (Post 326811)
Awesome! Mind if I add this to the p99 wiki for you? Dumbledorf's Norrath in a Nutshell: A Beginner's Guide sounds like the perfect title. What say you?

Sure, that'd be fine! Thanks!

Krait 07-04-2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dumbledorf (Post 326821)
Sure, that'd be fine! Thanks!

Here's the spot: http://wiki.project1999.org/index.ph...nner%27s_Guide

I'll give a few more days for any changes to shake out.

Dumbledorf 07-06-2011 04:43 PM

I fixed a few things. Still thinking about tackling the quest section, but that may be some time from now. It's more or less good to post on the Wiki.

Thanks again!

Vermicelli 07-11-2011 03:53 PM

Wow, what a labor of love! Quite clever in some places, too. One lil correction though: you have listed that ogres naturally have -20 fire resistance. It is trolls who have this penalty, not ogres. I believe it is supposed to represent the traditional fantasy idea that trolls are more flammable than cheap polyester pants =)

Also, the EQthieves.com spell lists are formatted for a time on EQ Live when casters got spells every level. Like, for enchanters in particular, Tashan is learned at level 1, not level 2. Illusion: Human comes at level 4, not level 2. No spells are learned at level 2. Personally, I use http://www.pro1999.com/enchanter-spells.html . It's got a few Velious spells listed, but that's going to be a good thing eventually!

Dumbledorf 07-15-2011 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vermicelli (Post 333179)
Wow, what a labor of love! Quite clever in some places, too. One lil correction though: you have listed that ogres naturally have -20 fire resistance. It is trolls who have this penalty, not ogres. I believe it is supposed to represent the traditional fantasy idea that trolls are more flammable than cheap polyester pants =)

Also, the EQthieves.com spell lists are formatted for a time on EQ Live when casters got spells every level. Like, for enchanters in particular, Tashan is learned at level 1, not level 2. Illusion: Human comes at level 4, not level 2. No spells are learned at level 2. Personally, I use http://www.pro1999.com/enchanter-spells.html . It's got a few Velious spells listed, but that's going to be a good thing eventually!

Drats, I knew that! Must have conflated trolls and ogres somehow, thanks!

sellawiz 08-01-2011 06:28 PM

Description: Rogues are masters of pure melee damage. Their main competitor in this department are wizards, although rogues have the advantage of not needing mana. Using high speed dual wield weapons, rogues are there to quickly cut foes down to size. As they are not as dense as warriors, in groups they rely on tanks to distract mobs while they execute backstabs. Rogues have at their disposal thievish skullduggery skills, including the ability to turn invisible and move around undetected with hide and sneak.

This is simply not true, rogues can out DPS wizards. I'd be more inclined to say something like monks. Wizards are more for burst DPS.