Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   why do new mmos split the usa and euro servers? (/forums/showthread.php?t=76482)

Sirken 06-07-2012 03:34 PM

why do new mmos split the usa and euro servers?

as a night owl, and a gamer, i am usually playing from 11pm-5am when i dont have to wake up for anything.

that schedule was the reason i met and played with so many euro folks in my day.

but now, with stupid split servers, i have no euros to entertain me in the middle of the night.

this makes me sad.

that is all.

PS- +1 for being in the right section

hdawg06 06-07-2012 03:41 PM

I agree with this. I always had fun playing with the asian crowd late nights when most of the americans went to sleep...

formallydickman 06-07-2012 05:59 PM

Yeah, its frustrating for me as well. I split my time between Japan, USA, and now France so my play schedule is beyond terrible. The only MMO I've played that didn't suffer from my time changes from the USA to Japan was my server on WoW. It had a strong core of NZ/South East Asian that were only an hour or two off from my own time when I was in Japan and then I had RL friends when I was back in the states.

hdawg06 06-09-2012 11:58 AM

MMOs have changed. Nowadays it is not really important in many MMOs to actually see people at night. The LFG dungeon/raid tool has basically destroyed all social aspects of games except for maybe communication with friends and guild members...

Lucky 06-09-2012 12:13 PM

sirken i agree with you, its so much fun mowin down orcs with my right hand and swedes with my left hand

HeallunRumblebelly 06-10-2012 12:18 AM

Alright. The Danes can stay. But no more Japanese o_O

fishingme 06-10-2012 02:32 PM

I think the split on the population could be three things. First would be latency with servers hosted elsewhere. Second, time of day players are playing. Third, server max capacity. edit: probably language barrier too

Sirken 06-16-2012 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingme (Post 663850)
I think the split on the population could be three things. First would be latency with servers hosted elsewhere. Second, time of day players are playing. Third, server max capacity. edit: probably language barrier too

thats all very good and well. but most new mmo's populations go to shit after ~60 days anyway, and i have a hard time believing that the machines of today can't handle what EQ was doing from 99-04. and language could be an issue for sure, but theres soooo many euros that speak english.

i dont know if its right or wrong. i just know it personally drives me crazy and i dont like it ;)

Danyelle 06-16-2012 03:23 AM

I think companies split servers by location based on time zones and language. Try to keep people together that will be on at the same time and speak the same language. Which makes sense but yeah it does kinda suck :(