Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Rants and Flames (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Please stop the quakes (/forums/showthread.php?t=427666)

Valakut 01-21-2024 11:01 AM

Please stop the quakes

Let these guys/gals/they-them destroy their friendships, marriages, and careers like real classic everquest raiders. There's nothing classic about quaking every weekend so everybody can gear up 19 different raid alts with tov gear.

It's completely disrupting the cycle of guilds on the server. Every respectable guild on the server has died or left permanently. If you're not in the one mega quake guild then you're in some roleplaying guild or reformed toxic guild that get's perpetually banned or it's a strawman guild stuffed with alts bypassing bag limits from their other main guild.

Make elitism elite again. As soon as it stops being easy. People will resort to strategy and team work again.

magnetaress 01-21-2024 01:52 PM

Let em pump the pop. Servers are old and in retirement/ maintenance mode. Ppl want dragons.

7thGate 01-22-2024 10:07 AM

Quakes are a significantly better form of competition because the rewards each team gains scales with how efficient they are in a close to linear manner, rather than being a repeated series of head to head checks that gives almost all the kills to the better team.

If your group is half as efficient as another group, you get about half the kills on a quake. If you're doing repops, you get nothing as you just lose the vast majority of things you contest, which then creates a negative feedback loop where people don't want to contest stuff since they're almost guaranteed not to get it.

There's a reason why there are like 5 entities active on quakes and 1 or 2 contesting most natural spawns. Quakes give an opportunity to try and incrementally improve by using teamwork and strategy, while natural spawns essentially require you to field experienced racers or there's no point in showing up 99% of the time.

Toxigen 01-22-2024 10:09 AM

keep quaking and push the pixel sickness further

magnetaress 01-22-2024 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7thGate (Post 3670805)
Quakes are a significantly better form of competition because the rewards each team gains scales with how efficient they are in a close to linear manner, rather than being a repeated series of head to head checks that gives almost all the kills to the better team.

If your group is half as efficient as another group, you get about half the kills on a quake. If you're doing repops, you get nothing as you just lose the vast majority of things you contest, which then creates a negative feedback loop where people don't want to contest stuff since they're almost guaranteed not to get it.

There's a reason why there are like 5 entities active on quakes and 1 or 2 contesting most natural spawns. Quakes give an opportunity to try and incrementally improve by using teamwork and strategy, while natural spawns essentially require you to field experienced racers or there's no point in showing up 99% of the time.

Said the CFO

mycoolrausch 01-22-2024 04:05 PM

The hyper competitive mode only worked when the bulk of the playerbase was leveling their 1st, 2nd, maybe even 3rd toon, and located in places like mistmoore, city of mist, sebilis, or plane of sky/HoT - and so didn't care that all the raid content was scooped up in 300ms by sweaty guild 1 or 2.

But by 2019 or so everyone that plays p99 had 2-3+ 60s, all their sky gear, and all their HoT gear, and nothing to do but stand around and watch those sick FTEs. So the server staff had a decision to keep catering to the 50 people that like esport everquest or to find a way to give everyone something to do again. Shockingly, they chose the latter.

Tann 01-22-2024 04:18 PM

I gotta say, as someone dipping my toes for the first time in the raid scene here, the feeling in my giblets when I lose a bid or /random on an upgrade or epic quest item to someone's 6th raid alt is quite a dopamine kick.

Toxigen 01-22-2024 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tann (Post 3670863)
I gotta say, as someone dipping my toes for the first time in the raid scene here, the feeling in my giblets when I lose a bid or /random on an upgrade or epic quest item to someone's 6th raid alt is quite a dopamine kick.

yessss, harness the hatred

Tann 01-22-2024 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxigen (Post 3670864)
yessss, harness the hatred

Me, a youngling, about to get rekt by someone with over 9000 dkp

https://i.giphy.com/12qFOaBbu9TZny.gif

cd288 01-22-2024 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tann (Post 3670867)
Me, a youngling, about to get rekt by someone with over 9000 dkp

https://i.giphy.com/12qFOaBbu9TZny.gif

Check a guild's policies on DKP bids with respect to certain items before you join. Sometimes they will require a mandatory full DKP bid on certain in demand epic drops etc.