Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Something smells fishy in PoM... (/forums/showthread.php?t=426430)

Ankou 12-05-2023 03:37 PM

Something smells fishy in PoM...

I'm pretty new to PoM, but I understand there are mobs named: You, Shall, Not, and Pass.

I would guess this is a reference to the LOTR Movies' Gandalf quote, but the Fellowship of the Ring movie did not come out until December 2001 (same month as Luclin). Whereas POM released with Velious.

So... if not the LOTR movies, what are these mobs referencing? Something is wrong with the timeline here!

Note: the original quote in the Fellowship book is, "You cannot pass", so it isn't that.

Toxigen 12-05-2023 03:55 PM

the movies are based on books dawg

Ankou 12-05-2023 04:07 PM

Brah, you didn't read my whole post- the quote is different in the books. The word 'shall' is not in it.

Toxigen 12-05-2023 04:22 PM

dunno mayne maybe the lizardpeepul informed brad

DeathsSilkyMist 12-05-2023 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ankou (Post 3664830)
I'm pretty new to PoM, but I understand there are mobs named: You, Shall, Not, and Pass.

I would guess this is a reference to the LOTR Movies' Gandalf quote, but the Fellowship of the Ring movie did not come out until December 2001 (same month as Luclin). Whereas POM released with Velious.

So... if not the LOTR movies, what are these mobs referencing? Something is wrong with the timeline here!

Note: the original quote in the Fellowship book is, "You cannot pass", so it isn't that.

That is an interesting thought. I guess it would depend upon why the movie chose to change the quote to " You shall not pass". Perhaps this was some meme or misquote that existed before the movies were made?

Or it could be they added/changed those mobs after Luclin came out. Is there any evidence showing these mobs were named that (or existed) before Luclin came out?

strongNpretty 12-05-2023 04:42 PM

LOTR Mandela Effect

Ankou 12-05-2023 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist (Post 3664843)
That is an interesting thought. I guess it would depend upon why the movie chose to change the quote to " You shall not pass". Perhaps this was some meme or misquote that existed before the movies were made?

Or it could be they added/changed those mobs after Luclin came out. Is there any evidence showing these mobs were named that (or existed) before Luclin came out?

I had the same thought! I tried to find out, but did not try hard enough, as so far I cannot say. If anyone else can speak to if these mobs are original, or added later, I'd love to know.
If not, I'll try to dig deeper myself.

Auvdar 12-05-2023 08:34 PM

It's been 14 long years and you all finally got PoM!

Aww

Valakut 12-06-2023 09:28 AM

theres also a bob the painter which is a reference to bob ross who died in 1995, 5 years before scars of velious would be released. 5 also the number of structures at a druid ring which must just be a happy little accident.

cd288 12-07-2023 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ankou (Post 3664847)
I had the same thought! I tried to find out, but did not try hard enough, as so far I cannot say. If anyone else can speak to if these mobs are original, or added later, I'd love to know.
If not, I'll try to dig deeper myself.

One of the parts about P99 I love is people digging and figuring out random stuff like this