View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannacore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was it awful? How sedated were you? Was recovery a pain in the ass?

I'm pretty nervous about it (happening on Wednesday) mostly because they have to knock me all of the way out. WHAT IF I DON'T WAKE UP? WHAT IF I'M STILL CONSCIOUS DURING THE SURGERY?
I had all 3 of mine out about 30 years ago. I wasn't sedated. Just a bit of local. One would have been impacted, if allowed to continue growing (and the dental insurance company didn't want to cover that one ?!). The surgery was split across two visits-- one Friday, one Monday. It's an extremely weird feeling to watch some guy intensely unscrew things out of your jaw, but I'm the type that likes needles and blood and stuff. Raavak, you're not too far from the reality. It looked like he was bracing his foot on my chin (but it was probably the chair)... and unscrewing, unscrewing, chisel chisel, unscrewing... fun! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I used plenty of ice, afterwards, for the swelling, but there wasn't a whole lot of pain. I was on no meds, other than Advil. But I'm the type that would rather endure a little pain than take painkillers. Stiches fell out in several days. IIRC, the inflamation/swelling caused a serious post-nasal drip that gave me a sore throat afterwards. That was the worst of it.

If you have a history of bad reactions to anesthetics, then I would make sure the dentist knows. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry much.