View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Obamacare, ACA, whatever you want to call it is potentially good in atleast the short term for many poor people.

From the point of view from a middle class family man: my employer (largest company in our industry) couldn't (refused to) afford the taxes on the plan they offered us starting in 2014. They are phasing out our PPO plan and offering a lower premium HMO plan with a 6x sized deductible.

I'm going from the mentality of, "Hey, if shit happens my family is covered." to "Hope we don't get sick this year."
Did they break down the costs?

I work for a rather large ERP and retail software company and the ACA costs were described as such a small contributor to the total increase that it was really barely worth mentioning. From the presentation:

-Aging population and increased average lifespan
-Technology improvements and the cost associated with treating complex conditions
-Rise of complex biologic medications pushing Rx spend upward
-Health industry consolidation increased 50% in past few years (e.g. hospital mergers) as fewer markets compete for patients
-Health Care Reform – additional coverage requirements; Patient Centered Outcomes Research fees (2013 & 2014) and Transition Reinsurance fees (2014-2016) paid by Epicor.

Now, what many companies are doing is using this as an opportunity to push you off onto the exchanges, since the cost savings to the company would be immense. Companies may publicly say they hate the ACA, but behind closed doors, they love it.