View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most high level necros I know are either glad they rolled an iksar or regret not rolling an iksar... the regen difference is too good to ignore and unless you're playing a halfling rogue as your other character the comparative difference in leveling isn't that noticeable.
Yeah... I am in the latter camp. You know, I didn't feel so bad about being a Non-Iksar at 49 when I got Lich. Sure, it hurt. But it was really quite manageable. Sure, I would have been stronger if I started as an Iksar, but I was fine with it.

And then I got to 60. Once I hit 60, and I got Demi-Lich, I started to feel the damage income of Demi-Lich. It was just nasty losing so much HP. So I decided I would play an Iksar, and see how it went.

So, I made an Iksar Necro, and leveled him to 55 before graduate school started up again and I have had no time to level. In that time, I found that I never noticed HP loss from Lich until 34 with Call of Bones, but even then, I was losing so little, I would be fine just running around in Call of Bones. Then, I hit 49, and I noticed that it hurt, but heck, I had leveled as a Non-Iksar, this was still smooth sailing. And then I hit 51, when the next tier of regen hit, and I was killing 6-7 mobs at the Noble camp in HHK. Next level, I get the next tier of regen (56), which reduces Lich damage to -6... That's like being a Non-Iksar with Call of Bones.

It was a huge difference. Leveling wasn't that much slower, because I was killing more things. So long as I had camps that had more stuff to kill, I was leveling fast. If I was stuck (as my own guide on the wiki suggests) doing something like Bards, I was screwed. XP was slow.

Also, just a general side note (not to Swish specifically, but someone above referenced to the xp penalty), although it is a racial -20%, because of the fact that Necros have a base -10%, and that the experience modifiers are multiplicative, being an Iksar Necro really nets -32% experience, so it is -22% more of a penalty from other Necros.