View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by distung [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Neither of these statements are true. Paralyzing Earth and Fetter definitely overwrite. Mez is a long writeup and a lot more complex than that
What I described is how it worked Fear, just last night. We had three enchanters there: I was 58, the others were 56 and 60. I could overwrite the 56's Enthrall with the same spell, but not the 60's Enthrall. The 56 could overwrite both other enchanters' single-target mezzes with Fascination, which I could overwrite with Mesmerization.

I know from experience that Mesmerize, Mesmerization, and Enthrall can all overwrite Entrance, even when cast by a lower-level enchanter, but when casting Entrance again on those same targets it will not take hold. When running mags on a single target, you can cast Dazzle -> Entrance -> Enthrall -> Mesmerize without issue, but if you try to do the same thing in reverse you'll get "Your spell did not take hold".

I've wrestled too many times with CC in Fear/Hate not to know what mezzes will and will not trump each other across several levels. As for root spells, I'm a deal less certain. I know the level of the caster wins when casting the same spell, and that a shorter root can and will overwrite a longer one (there was an earth pet that spent all last night overwriting my Fetters). Unlike mezzes, you may be able to cast a longer root over top of a shorter spell already in effect. Beyond that, I won't say without testing more for myself.