View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 03:47 PM
Planar Protector

Worst feeling in the world is when you're just driving in your car, enjoying a nice summer day with your windows down. Then you see some homeless guy in the median, long beard, hair bleached by the sun, tan skin. Suddenly there the light ahead turns yellow. Panic. Should I speed through to avoid the awkwardness? Stop? You coast and miss the opportunity and end up stopping too quickly. He stares at you, a glimmer of hope in his eye, waves in your direction. Panic. Social anxiety. Compassion. Out of the corner of your eye you see that he mentions he was a vet. You see he's missing a limb. Don't make eye contact. Don't do it. He could get a job. Heck he probably makes more than me just sitting here on his ass... without a hand... sitting here without a shred of pride. Well, he will probably just use it for alcohol! Or Drugs! Yeah drugs! I'm not gonna help someone who might be a druggie ew! Drugs bad therefore drug addicts are bad. Then you realize that even if that were true, habitual addictions are nearly impossible to break without help. Recovery rate in the U.S. is one of the lowest in the western world, and there is a huge taboo against substance abusers in the U.S. which further exacerbates the issue. Your face has at this point gone from complete serenity of enjoyment from your day to a severe look of existential concern. You then realize that it doesn't matter what this man did, who he is, or what he's done. He is here asking for help, and if you ever had come to that point in your life you would greatly appreciate any help that is available. Just as you reach for a $5 the light turns green. Cars are behind you. You have to go. But you made a decision. But you have to go. It's too late. You couldn't make up your mind in time. You failed to help. A simple action of compassion and you failed. You continue your summer drive depressed and decide to take a shortcut hope instead of continue enjoying the summertime air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post

If you have proof of a staff member violating policies, you report it in a Forum PM to me [Rogean] or Nilbog.