View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 10:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We can talk about how OP Enchanters are or not all we want. The point is, they reflect what the class was on live. The goal of the server is to try and reflect how each class and mechanic was on live during the classic era. The point of the server is not to say "Wellllll achhhtually Enchanters were OP and they were never balanced but in my opinion they should have been so we should arbitrarily nerf them here because of that!"

If we want to make that the standard, then I guess we better open up like a million other things for peoples' personal opinions to be used to modify. For example, I think hybrids having snap aggro is cheesey and cheap and holding aggro as a tank should be more difficult, so nerf that please. What about Shamans and Canni; that's essentially a manastone-like ability and the devs stopped that from dropping and limited it to old world only, so Canni should either be removed or limited to old world only please. What about Rangers; AAs were implemented in later expansions to make them much better because the devs thought they were too weak from a balance perspective in the classic era, so add those changes to Rangers please since the standard is now what the devs did later on or what we think they would have done. What about Iksar regen and AC boost; back in the day there weren't nearly as many Iksars but sooo many people roll Iksar now to min/max for the relevant classes, so nerf Iksars please to create more of a "classic atmosphere."
It is now completely clear, considering the things that you have just compared Charm to, that you are either new to P99, oblivious to the effect of Charm, or have a personal agenda.

This has nothing to do with personal opinions, this is about facts. Facts like math. That this is a group centric game, and Enchanters DPS equates up to SEVERAL party members, making grouping a huge loss of EXP/hr for them. That the staff here is trying to create not only Classic Everquest but the Classic Feel, and have made changes in the past that change Classic Everquest into Classic Feel. The things they've changed had major impacts on the spirit of the game, just like Charm is right now. So no, I don't think this is about any personal stuff and is more about the community and game as a whole. I firmly believe a nerf to Charm fits in perfectly with the goal of the staff here.

The thing is that you could do something simple like reduce a charmed pet's damage by 50% and they'd still probably be doing over double the DPS of the highest DPS in the group. This is the nerf I've always thought could probably go through but I really want to see some parses first before making any suggestions. What I'm saying is that even with a 50% damage reduction, people would still Charm and it would still be extremely effective, and therefore doesn't go against the Classic Feel, Enchanter would still be by far the strongest class in the game.