Thread: Warrior Aggro
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No you couldn't. Lammy and JM were not tank weapons. You could hold aggro with them if you out-aggroed the other group members through damage output, which would be the case if your group was worse geared than you, but there was no mechanic that made warriors generate more threat than others.

A warrior, a rogue, a ranger and a monk walk into a bar. If they do the same amount of damage, they generate the same amount of threat, assuming that they don't lose or generate any from other sources (snare, procs, feign). If anyone deals more damage than the others, they generate more threat unless others have procs or use spells that generate even more threat. Since warriors aren't particularly great DPS (about on par with a ranger that isn't OOM), and will never outdamage a rogue or monk assuming equivalent gear levels, the warrior will not hold aggro from them by default. It's even harder against casters who generate huge, uncontrollable chunks of threat in one go.

Now, I can't say whether there's some mysterious bug that makes a warrior's melee damage generate less threat than that of other classes. If that's the case, sure, there's a problem. I doubt it is, and any issues with warrior aggro are likely related to other things such as some classes doing too much damage, or threat reduction abilities not working properly. You could never hold aggro reliably with a Lammy unless the rogue was using a Dragoon Dirk or something.
i think you're forgetting the point of the lammy in the day was to affect your offhand swing. this doesn't fly on p99 since main & off swing indepedently here, but im sure you remember folks on live with Wurm in the offhand + lammy main for that reason.

Lammy's delay allowed the warrior to hold aggro as long as their offhand choice was high dmg or procd. nothing is different on p99 aside from duel wield mechanics.