Thread: Spells: Torpor Mana Expenditure
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 12:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wouldn't think about software development as having "unintentional coding". What probably happened was the programming team was tasked with creating the mana drain feature on spells. But after it was coded and implemented, the game designers, qa testers. etc. discovered that the mana drain feature wasn't a good idea for any of the spells that were being released for the expansion they were currently working on.

Instead of deleting the feature (which can be dangerous in a live codebase, and it could be used later on), they decided to just disable the feature on all of the spells that had it. But they forgot to disable it, and so a bug was created, because the spell had mana drain when it shouldn't.
Maybe if the mana drain component of the spell had been there day one of kunark's release, but there was a decent bit of time before the spell received the nerf. I'd imagine 99% of shaman never saw the un-nerfed version of the spell in those days, which is also why it's sad to see this not being reflected on green since it'sa a grotesque distortion of what the situation really was for a level 60 shaman.

i suspect if it truly was unintentional, that what happened was they were monkeying around with ways to make it more balanced. Keep in mind the original cost only 100 mana. They could have finally decided that simply doubling the mana cost was enough of a nerf for balance's sake but actually left the mana drain portion in too essentially double nerfing it.