View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 01:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, it fits just fine. From the earliest designs there was intent to have landmasses called "Kunark" and "Velious" but they were cut from initial release and little or nothing was actually built. Fast forward a bit, EQ becomes a commercial success, Verant decides to make an expansion out of the planned-but-shelved Kunark concepts and incorporates some of this dude's ideas into it.

It is flagrantly obvious looking at Kunark zones and art styling that it was created much later than the pre-expansion game given the zones aren't even built the same way, textures and monster models are styled differently, polygon limits are higher, etc. Heck, it was originally described as a dead land that was the original home of the trolls. Seems like all that was carried over from the original concept was the name and not a lot else.

------------------------------------

I like classic-era design the best, but it isn't very tolerant of high populations. Guk and Sol-B with 100+ people aren't much fun. It reeeaaalllly could've used one of those extra landmasses.

Danth
I'll work on finding the stuff I read, because I definitely remember quotes from devs saying they had been working on some Kunark stuff with the intention of including it in the base game and then ended up not having the time to finish it before launch. Like I said in an earlier comment, it's entirely possible that some of the things we saw in Kunark (such as graphical stuff) would not have been present had Kunark launched with the base game; could have used the additional time to flesh things out more.

But yeah there's some Kunark associated content in base original EQ such as factions etc. that didn't get fleshed out till the expansion.