View Single Post
Old 08-14-2022, 10:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree that "need" is the wrong baseline for this discussion since none of the cleric racial bonuses are necessary by definition--all clerics can perform their jobs. I also agree that snare is a nice quality of life item to have on occasion. Sure you can live without it. So what? There are many things I can live without in-game but which are nice to have. What are you going to take in its place? Clerics can live without tinkering, they can live without sneak, they can live without paineel quest items....it's all icing and all of it has relative value for various purposes.

Nobody who has a melee wants to be chasing full-speed runners to finish them off, not with P99's ever-crabby hitboxes. That's a miserable life. Hence why the snare neck sees much discussion for use in a cleric-based duo with a melee player when they don't otherwise have snare. It also opens up limited fear-kiting for such a duo. While not strictly necessary--the wife and I used to duo lower guk with our paladin/cleric duo w/o a snare, and we managed--it does open up nice quality of life and some additional options. Maybe it's not godly, but it's not junk, either, at least not to that specific sub-set of players who like to operate in that type of duo.

----------------------------------------------------

Shamwowi, how often do you use Clinging on your shadowknight? I use it frequently on mine. Cascading is the one I seldom use due to the immense mana cost. Otherwise clinging, engulfing, and dooming all see fairly regular use. It isn't uncommon that I might have two of them on the spellbar at once.

Danth
That has been my whole argument, you don't need it, so I wouldn't pick a race just for it. Snare Neck isn't necessary, and I would need to see data to believe it is consistently saving a Cleric mana on runners. In most cases you can deal with them just fine, and you may not even need to root the mob. It's generally a strategy issue, not a lack of snare issue.

You did bring up Dragon Necropolis in another discussion when referring to fighting Gating mobs that you cannot easily fight on their spawn point. I will test that out at some point to see if Snare Neck would be worth it there, or if you could indeed just find their spawn points.

Again, I do have the snare neck on my Cleric. I enjoy using it when soloing, as I can fear kite living mobs with it to some degree. But honestly the snare is so bad I have been wishing for JBoots to keep up with the mob while it is running at over 50% health hehe. I don't play that toon enough to justify the Jboots.

I never use Clinging Darkness on my SK. It's just too bad for effective use. Besides, with Blood Ember Gauntlets you get Engulfing Darkness for free. I use Dooming Darkness when the runway is tight and I need as little movement as possible, otherwise I click my Blood Ember Gauntlets.