Thread: Miscellaneous: Nerf Bowquest 99
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2023, 11:03 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You mentioned it is a HP race. HP is very valuable in PvP and PvE. It makes sense to be the go to stat.

Two separate tangents to the Bowquest in Red p99 I find intriguing.

1. Shadow Knights and Paladins have a max Archery skill of 75. Do skills affect miss rate in PvP? If I were to wager I don't think they do.

In short in PvE only weapon skill affects chance to hit.

Weapon skill contributes to ATK so it's often conflated, but ATK is what's used vs the opponent's AC to calculate damage, not chance to hit.

Here's where everybody ends up being right: in EQ, if damage is mitigated to 0, it displays as miss. Even though you actually hit the enemy, it was just reduced to 0.

So anything that affects ATK (i.e. weapon skill, offense skill, and STR) will impact how frequently you see a miss on screen due to "false" misses from damage output vs mitigation.

But only weapon skill impacts a true miss.

2. For Red server there is an entry that eludes that AGI affect hit rating.
Here - https://wiki.project1999.com/Statistics

On Red server Dexterity affects PVP hit rate. It does this by comparing your dexterity to your opponent's agility. There is no evidence that Dexterity affects hit rate in PVE.

How is this compared?
For Example:

Attacking player has 70 Dex they roll a random number 1-70 ; They get a 67
Defending player has 200 Agi they roll a random number 1-200 ; They get a 59

Does the attacker hit the defending player?

Is it that simple?

I don't expect p99 developers to release this information nor to reprogram the system to make it more accurate.

I just find it interesting.

I’m not certain anyone disputes that fact. The agility versus dexterity was the case prior to this bug, and plenty of people have grievances about that topic (hit rates). It’s also helpful to keep in mind that with the era we’re in, dexterity is a far, far more common stat than agility, even at the very high end. Agility gets its heyday in Luclin for the most part. People aren’t missing hits very much.

That point aside, it’s a mutually exclusive point from this bug. This bug is doing two versions of damage simultaneously, once from the bonus damage of a main hand weapon, and then again with the actual bow.

Priceless Velium Reinforced Bow was valuable prior to this bug on the server. That is not the bow of choice anymore, despite being the superior bow in almost every respect.

The bows most sought after are the ones that can shoot arrows the fastest. Players want those bows because the MINIMUM hit is so huge from things like the weighted axe that the damage on bows isn’t a real consideration. Players only consider delays. Whatever bow that can pump out 111 points of damage the fastest.

The Sarnak War Bow is one, at 25 delay. It’s very clearly not as good on its face as a Priceless or Primal bow. The second is a Bow of The Destroyer - at 17 delay. Also not as good as Priceless or Primal by any objective standard.

Sidenote: Most people are choosing fatty warriors because of the precision discipline with bows. That discipline essentially erases the dexterity versus agility consideration. It’s nearly putting your arrows at a 100% hit rate. Again, not the point - but it does have an indirect relationship with this bug. It works in concert with the obscene minimum damages coming from any bow user.

I’d just keep in mind that Backstab is meant to be one of the strongest, if not the strongest, special abilities in the game, and it’s got a minimum hit of 120 damage, BARELY above a 350 range arrow attack. Call me crazy, but that seems imbalanced.

Don’t get me wrong, when this bug was found out, the entire server took notice, rerolled, and switched tactics. So in that respect it’s not this disparity where one single person or guild has access to anything over another. It’s much more asymmetrical at a fundamental level. It’s also not something that was in the patch notes at any point, right? There shouldn’t be a defense for something that wasn’t supposed to be here in the first place.