View Single Post
Old 11-15-2023, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would highly suggest you don't use any of these terms when talking to these kids. It will not be perceived as cool, engaging, or positive at all. It will only distance you from them
Ditto

I talk to kids of all ages every day at work, either at their schools or in their homes, etc

When talking to me as an adult professional, kids almost never use slang. And only escalated teens tend to swear, otherwise kids will ask permission to cuss or accidentally do one and apologize

I don’t attempt to use slang to rapport build. Like mentioned here, it will work against you. Just banter about their interests, having an offhand knowledge of anime, and game genres like Roblox/Minecraft/Pokémon/FPS shooters/etc can help

But lacking that offhand knowledge, if I’m in a kid’s room I’ll just look around at posters or items around and ask about them. Kids are most happy if you already know about their hobbies, but almost as happy if you don’t but have an interest in them explaining those to ya