View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Fire Giant

Newbie armor tip for classic EQ...

Some starting areas have mobs that drop cloth and rawhide (leather) armor and some don't. Some have quests for tattered/patchwork armor, some don't. Whatever the case, don't sweat it....all you need is some reasonable AC at the lowest levels....

When you get a few levels and save up 10-15pp, you can buy a full set of storebought leather armor if you need to. It is an upgrade to all of the aforementioned, lighter than the dropped version, and, most significantly, sells back to the vendor for most of what you paid for it. This is a bonus when starting out, because you basicly get to "rent" a baseline set of AC gear when money is too tight for anything better....And you get most of your money back. A pally friend of mine turned me on to this back in the day in live classic. He had most of a set of storebought plate at one point before he was able to do his class quests, not that I would go that far, personally.

Regardless of how you get started at the earliest levels, the first time you get 91pp together, head for EC and buy a full set of banded armor. Most charge 1pp per ac and that should buy you a full set. Keep the set together in the bank as you replace each piece ...you will eventually be able to sell it to another player and get your 91p back. Or you've got your first set of twink gear, as you prefer.

That's how I usually get started....beyond that, get your weapon situation in order, invest in some large sewing kits for inventory, backpacks for bank, and then save every cooper till you can buy a pair of 5ac 55 HP rings. It will be the best play you spend for a very very long time and you will be wearing those rings for longer than you probably care to...amazing bang for buck especially considering how long they are useful.

After that save for weapons upgrades and gems for your class quest armor. If you are a warrior that's around 1500p for a full set of crafted, give or take.

Most of all, have fun!