View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 03:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriam1066 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You realize our economy is based on trade and California sits on the Pacific, I.E. access to trade with Japan, china, India, Korea, Taiwan...

It isn't cultural or governmental as to why the coasts do better than the center of the country. Do you idiots think liberalism explains why Constantinople was wealthier than a Balkans outpost? Jesus Christ...
Why doesn't that apply to to the coast of the Gulf states and Southeastern US? Savannah Georgia is one of the highest volume ports in the United States. The Western gulf is a hub for oil imports and refining $$$$$. This phenomenon also exists along important inland rivers and old railroad/transportation hubs.

I think you're correct in that the prosperity is related to aggregation of goods and services in certain areas (trade) but that's more about being urban than location along a coast, and the reason somewhere like Savannah Georgia doesn't turn out like San Francisco isn't as simple as hurr durr liberal vs. conservative, I think it goes back to centuries of economic development of the South and its poorly diversified low-growth economy and hidalgo culture.

The county I live in right now is one of the wealthiest in Northern California and is solidly solidly red. In August I ship off to grad school in Columbia South Carolina which is solidly solidly blue. Bizarro world.
Last edited by Lune; 03-23-2017 at 03:46 PM..