View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

I don't think instancing should be used as a solution and here's why...

a) It would increase the influx of raid items into the economy
b) EQ was developed with the raid limits in mind

Whether we like it or not, the raid limits were probably intentional. Just like how some items were no drop or some items were expensive or how named didn't pop whenever we wanted them too.

Now, whether it's a good idea or not to limit the rate of incoming raid items by having a limited number of raid targets AND a long spawn time, THAT is a question for another project.

If we...
* instance raids
* add more of them by creating additional zones/spawns
* decrease spawn times
* increase the number of items per loot
* some other method

...to increase raid item accessibility for guilds (with some methods, like decreased spawn time, having the caveat that GM's and players will restrict their play so that other guilds have a chance to kill the raid targets), then we must also account for the increased abundance of raid items in the economy and how that will change the game.

EQ was not made with that in mind. So, if there're going to be more raid items or more ability for people to raid then it's likely that the rest of the game would have to be altered in some way to accommodate it.

Ofc, changing EQ as it was to fit our desires is not what p1999 is about.

I have a million things I'd like to change and could go on and on about it, but to have at least one server that attempts to be true to history is too valuable to me. First, it serves as a recording of what was and is useful when trying to retrace what we did and trying to figure out where we went from there and which is the best course to take when resolving old problems. Second, it's a source of nostalgia for many of us to go back in time and to see some of the things we didn't get a chance to see the first time around. It's like having a second chance to relive history.

The server is not a huge success, as the live servers routinely had 2000 or more players on them, but we are able to marshal 700+ at peak times. That far exceeds the other eq emulated servers when considering that boxing is a ban-able offense here. IMHO, interest for this server would be a lot greater if it was actively supported by SOE rather than opposed. But, essentially, I don't believe any failures in the raiding scene are reason enough to change the game.

And another issue is that most people aren't raiders. And we all know EQ classic is OLD. Not everything about it is fun or engaging. Like I said, there're many things that could be improved. But to be honest, it's a carcass - not worth it.

If most people raided then a change like this would be implemented almost immediately. Take travel/communication, for example. Everyone needs to do this things. So back when the population was lower there was an obvious need for global chat, even though that was not how EQ was during that point in time. When the population was higher, the server decided to remove global chat until global chat channels were introduced OR the population fell too low again before chat channels are implemented. It's the majority that matters because anytime you change hte game you risk losing some of yoru population. If you go with a minority and change hte game you risk losing your majority. It's basic, simple logic.

I know I've made some baseless assertions here, but we all do. Thanks for reading.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 09-05-2011 at 01:04 PM..