View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by machin576 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey guys, since this is the closest thing to the bard forum, I need to ask for some help.
I am trying to AoE kite, but I keep getting hit while going in circles and it seems to be more do to lag than anything else. My kites have to be less than 6 mobs, and if my hp goes below 60% I have to back off and get my hp up before going back in to dot. I am only 15 and currently kiting in FoB.
I have noticed that even when I make super wide circles, I still get a lag spike every so often, and my mobs will hit me from like 40 feet away. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? I am watching myself in a way out view, and tapping the turn key constantly, but I still get hit, usually when I am backed off from the mobs, letting the dot take effect. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
I'm a turnkey guy, I tap 'D' (right turn) with my left middle finger until it goes numb, which thankfully is usually about the time the mobs die, so then i can "mouse-drive," as Hmotzart puts it, while gathering up the next pack. The hard part about doing kiting at 15 is that your DoT (chords of dissonance) is only 30 range. Unless you are perfect, you are going to get hit. That is why you are doing the right thing by kiting much smaller packs. I usually did 5-12 mobs prior to getting the L18 dot, because I could usually survive 1 round if I did get hit-stunned with that many mobs. If I did get hit I would twist in hymn along with selos and I would be much more cautious with chords until I was again at 80+%hps.

Ways to reduce lag include:
  • Lower the far clip plane
  • Hide corpses
  • Reduce spell effects to minimum
  • Hide DoT messages

TL;DR: You are kiting before your prime. Its still faster than grouping/single killing, but its more risky and you are taking the appropriate precautions. Kite to 18, enjoy newfound capability.