From the same link...

Quote:
May 28th, 2013 05:53 PM#75
Y39 + NinjaDuck = Doom!
Yttrium's AvatarJoin Date
Jun 2005
Re: EverQuest Next
Bragging time for Yttrium
The MUD I played on hadn't defined the "hard edge" before a guild I helped found. We had a "complete heal" type spell, but no one bothered to "train" it up to a reliable level of non-fizzling. I aggressively recruited clerics for the guild and required they all max it out. We then went and fought things that could not previously be beaten, based entirely on
- best-AC tank in the game
- clerics could heal him from 1 hp to (max - 1d4) every single round with 99.999% successful casting rate
- sufficient support bandwidth from other classes to keep everyone else going / energized / etc.

Essentially, it's the same idea as the CH rotation, though I never made the mental leap to EQ's Complete Heal spell. However, when I first heard of the rotations, I had an "oh, yeah, I know this" moment.

I doubt I was the first person to do this in a mechanical sense. I'm sure other MUDs had similar mechanics that were exploited. Given the original designers' backgrounds in MUDs, I'm surprised they didn't think this would be an issue. It became the final edge of what was do-able.

On a personal note (hah, like I"m not already there), my experience on that MUD was the only time I was on the hardcore bleeding edge of a community-based game. I've been in a variety of powerful raiding guilds, at various levels of accomplishment, in both EQ and WoW, but I wouldn't want to do it again, much less be able to. However, I, too, would like to see some sort of meaningful EQ recreation.
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
-"To Serve and To Protect"

"I don't trust my government, I don't trust the people who work for my government, and I believe that the evidence suggests that it's irrational to offer such trust." - Ken White

"The first 90% of the project is done, now we're working on the remaining 90%." -SoylentNews
That said, idk how accurate that is since MUDs were before my time. But the EQ devs were aware of the possibility of chaining complete heals in one form or another, making reference to it when discussing why lay hands was capped even in the earliest rough drafts of the game, recognizing players could just line up paladins to complete heal versus raid targets. But then they went and added 5 charges of CH to the SoulFire so /shrug
Last edited by Ennewi; 03-13-2024 at 01:00 PM..