Thread: Confused Much?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Orc

Default Confused Much?

So I have been following most all of the threads over the last week pretty closely. Recently, as many have noticed, it has become a point to enforce forum rules and single out those on these forums who do not contribute, and are grossly offensive to other forum users. In addition, this sub-section is titled "Rants and Flames". One specific member has, as far as I can see, gone vigilante and started threads with proof of forum infractions. Here is what I am confused about:

1) What was wrong with the method of which he chose? From what I can see he simply quoted their own words in the correct sub-section (Rants & Flames) and then quoted the rule that they broke.

2) A lot of closed threads in the Rants & Flames section, with little explanation as to why they were closed.

3) What are the guidelines for the Rants & Flames section? I assumed that it was an open section to complain about users or policies with which you disagree with. Even moreso, I would assume that in this section, the use of vulgar phrases or infractions against the rules might be overlooked given the title.

4) If there are elements which are considered off-limits in the "Rants & Flames" section, then where can we find them? There is no sticky from what I can see that outlines what is right and what is wrong in this section.

5) Do users have a freedom to write whatever they want in this section & those who choose to read threads here understand that their beliefs may or may not be insulted in this section? And if users do not have absolute freedom to write openly in the "Rants & Flames" section, then why not? My assumption (which may or may not be correct) is that this section was specifically provided so that we could say exactly what is on our minds with no consequence.

6) While there is a sticky about GM decisions (Written in February); are they to be considered off limits to our own rants and flames? Are matters with them considered private 100% of the time given their status and position in the server? And if this is the case, why is that so? Are policemen not held accountable for their own actions as well? Do lawyers not have to answer for themselves when they mess up? Can politicians not be punished for instances where the public disagree?

Above all - I do NOT want this to be considered a rant, or troll, or whatever. It is a serious concern, especially given the majority of recent subject matter. Many users have claimed (myself included) to help regulate the forums by using the report post / petition thread. If this area has special rules, or more importantly, does not, then we should be made aware. Alternatively, if this section is, as I assume it was intended to be (a free forum to post whatever a user wishes), then should it be moderated?

With absolute sincerity, thank you.