View Single Post
Old 10-24-2021, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Comedy is a double edged sword I think.

Basically the way I see it is, comedians represent the coolest, or smartest people in the room, and they translate observations about how dumb everyone is into hilarious jokes that you feel cool for recognizing.

But when comedy gets a little stale, the listener is like, uh, pretty cringe bro..

And the truth is Dave's set's about trans are a bit dated and cringe. But, I dont care enough to make it an issue. I say just stop laughing at those jokes, stop reacting to them, and he'll stop telling them.

These guys get up on stage for months, changing, re-writing, deleting jokes, based on how much the audience reacts/laughs at them.
But it's not dated though, this issue is extremely contemporary. And the audience seems to really enjoy it, judging by the rotten tomatoes audience score, which is overwhelmingly positive for both the latest and the previous special. You can't just "stop laughing" at something if you think it's funny. That's one of the most honest things about comedy, laughing is involuntary. It's kind of out of your hands what you do or don't laugh at.

The latest special is extremely pro-trans, that's the great irony in people accusing him of being some huge bigot. He's demonstrating that it's possible to make fun of something without hating that thing. If people take offense to it, that is their issue to sort out.

He's just playfully ribbing the trans community like he would for any other community, it's just that the trans community tends to be very reactionary. Can you think of an example of a "trans joke" that would be acceptable to the entire trans community? Somebody's feelings will be hurt, just as been the case for any topic in the entire history of comedy. His point is that the trans community shouldn't be an exception, because there are no exceptions, because you should be able to joke about anything. Levity is one of the few precious things we have in this wretched life.