View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The perspective of a Nevadan for the last 25 years:

There are several points I would like to address. First and foremost is most public land in Nevada is managed by the BLM. State agencies have zero say over what happens on these lands. Most rural Nevadans are very pissed about this. This situation is one of many disputes between the public and the BLM. Look up the jarbridge shovel brigade incident. Or look at how the BLM is closing trails on public lands with zero regard to how they effect public uses of these lands.

Someone hinted about this earlier: those cattle grazing are removing fuel for wild fires. Wild fires in Nevada put out more pollution than humans. This problem has been getting worse the last 15 years as the BLM has been shutting cattle ranchers out of these lands. Through outright refusal of permits, raising permit rates to unaffordable levels, etc. These ranchers are doing a public service.

I don't know the Bundy's, but their way of life is a dieing breed. They are fighting for survival. Animals fighting for survival can get vicious. Anyone that feels they are backed into a corner is going to get desperate and violent

About the solar stuff. I am a big fan in where solar will take us. But the technology isn't there yet. The stuff is too expensive to produce atm, it doesn't last long enough, current power distribution systems are horribly inefficient making putting solar farms out in the middle of nowhere a less favorable place for them, the more they heat up from the sun the less they produce. Also, China subsidizing their solar businesses, illegally according to trade international trade treaties is making American solar firms unable to compete. I haven't checked in a few years but the Chinese were producing panels at half the cost Americans were partially because of the subsidies. Of course the cost of labor plays into it. When the technology for solar makes it a better option I'm all for putting an array on top of every home in America.

About the alternative to grass fed beef. This is something my wife pushes, it's possible that because cattle didn't evolve eating corn or other non grass feeds that it has unintended effects on their meet. Which translates into unintended consequences up the food chain, us. Science hasn't fully proven this yet however. But it's possible. Personally I don't care. Beef tastes good either way. So does fish. I don't know too much about which proteins are better.

As a few aside notes: bamzal, you're approach on this topic was very one sided which opened your argument up for the trolls. To the trolls, this isn't RnF. You deserve suspensions for some of your remarks.

Edit- I forgot to add the new director of the BLM is from rural Nevada. I believe he got the job a day or two after the BLM sent in the rangers to this area. I'd think he is to credit for the quick pull out of personnel.

This is P99 forums, no getting around the trolls. I like to discuss these types of issues - ones that mainstreams are not allowed to properly report on. And it's the least I can do to be pro-active. I'd rather have been down on the ranch this weekend but i'm too far away. The worst part to me is the ignorance in peoples replies, and realizing how little people would stand up for their own rights.
Last edited by Bamz4l; 04-15-2014 at 11:52 AM..