View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Kobold

As always, this research is full of anecdotal and circumstantial evidence. I was thinking of a way to score THE BEST a little better:
At the most elemental level, a group is 2 players. So going to start by asking "Who is the best to duo with"
Back in the classic days, we had 3 things:
Tank
Healer
Crowd Control

No wait, not those 3 things... I meant:
Pure melee
Pure caster
hybrid bastard offspring

So if you're a pure melee, who do you want to group with? If you're a pure caster, who do you want to group with? If you're a hybrid bastard, who do you want to group with?

Melee: Shaman. Take, for instance, the ability to turn any monk into a tank, with buffs and debuffs. I don't know how good monks are at taking at 60, but I do remember how bad I was at tanking at 60 back in those days, unless there was a high-level shaman doing stuff to things.
Caster: Enchanter. Not just the buffs, but stuff like stun lock and root really matter, too. Oftentimes the biggest threat to a caster is another caster, and an enchanter does the best to mitigate that. Then there's the Rune line of spells, too.
Hybrid: I think bards do the best for hybrids, because they pretty much make the good parts better and help you stay out of trouble. If you're aggro kiting? Bards help with snare backup and dots. If you're root rotting? Bards help with Selos and emergency snares and manasong. If you're fighting a caster? Bards mez it every 3 seconds.