View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello folks,
Coming back to P99 after being gone since pre-kunark and starting from scratch.. sie Druid is one of the only classes I didn't try on live back in the day and seems like one of the better choices for my play style.

Limitations (emoticons instead of bullets cause why not):
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] not online during peak hours.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] limited time when online, grouping would probably not be an option most of the time.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] no outside funds/gear coming in.

the questions:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Charm kiting as a means to level, will this net enough coin to fund spells? (until porting becomes available).
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] are druids limited to said charm kiting in outside zones only?
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] camping named mobs for $$ items, possible as a druid solo? or is that an enc/nec/shm only thing.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] are any of the starting zones better than the others from a pure plat making standpoint?
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] any tips for rookie druid?

Thank you
Some good advice in this thread already, but to add my 2c:
Charming is a great way to level but you're still going to have trouble getting spell money until you hit 20 or so, so play smart. Bandit sashes are a good choice; so are lightstones. Go to North Karana and kill willowisps; turn in lightstones and greater lightstones to the appropriate gypsy at the gypsy camp; sell the resulting items and make mad bank.

I've occasionally seen druids farm named monsters but it's not super-common; it's a mixture of the class not being incredibly strong for that kind of thing (at least in general; I'm sure there are specific places like Kedge where they are quite effective) and the druid being a class generally played by casual players who don't necessarily look into this kind of thing. In any case this probably won't be a good way to make money until you hit level 50+ or so. You can certainly do well at seafuries, though.

Tips for a rookie druid: until you can kite, you'll probably find melee + thorns + DoT/nukes to be the most effective way to level. Will be a little tough as you approach 14; experiment with different things like root-dotting or whatever you have available to you. Once you can charm, head to East Karana and rake in the EXP. If you plan on quadding at some point, you'll need mana/WIS gear, so start saving plat. Other than that, it's mostly about knowing how to charm/quad and where to charm/quad. Have fun!
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!