View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Fire Giant

Ok, a couple of things. First, I found out that I had to install that same patch twice. Why? Because after I patched for SP1, a Silverlight 4 fix came through auto update that apparently put the same bugged DLLs onto my machine that the Windows 7 SP1 patch did. I think it is worth a try for you to uninstall the patch (a necessary step) and then re-install it. This worked for me.

There is one other try that is probably worth a shot. Funkyguru posted about it in a previous thread about crashing to desktop. It involves setting processor affinity. I also took this step because it seemed like a good one, but my problems did not completely go away until I did the KB2488113 patch. Anyway, here are Funkyguru's instructions and an excerpt from his comments:

1. Locate your EQ folder
2. Open your EQ folder then create a new text doc within it
3. Open the text doc you just created and copy/paste in the following line:
c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 eqgame.exe patchme
4. Save the text doc then right-click it and rename as eqgame.bat
5. Run the eqgame.bat file you just created (Or make a shortcut on your desktop, whatever tickles your fancy)
This issue was haunting me for ages and was totally random; some days it would happen several times in short span and then not again for several days. I also tried lowering the frame rate to ~30 fps which 'appeared' to lessen the frequency of the issue to some degree (Pretty hard to tell considering how random it had been) but did not resolve the issue completely.

After some investigation I found out that the issue might stem from the fact that EQ, at least the Titanium version I am using, can have some kind of conflict with multiple cores as it was never designed specifically with them in mind. The .bat basically forces EQ to run on 1 processor (/affinity 1 being CPU 0). After trying this solution I've not had the issue occur and it's now been ~8 weeks