View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlvarex [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mathematics:
Each song has a cast time of ~3 seconds
Each Beneficial Duration song lasts between 12 and 18 seconds, depending on where the song was cast in regards to the server tick.

12/3 = 4, so mathematically he maximum number of songs you can play at any one point is 4, since that's the hard minimum. If you can automate the process so there's no lag, then you have 4 beneficial durationsongs that are only broken up by missed-note garbage.... etc
This is what I'm disputing. It's theorycrafting, not practical experience. Songs are listed as lasting 3 ticks - all our songs btw, including detrimental songs (barring Clarity), and that is my experience with them both grouping and kiting. I understand the theory behind the variance, but it doesn't hold up on the server when you actually play. As I said, if you can produce a video showing otherwise, awesome. I'm not being arrogant about this, just calling it for what it is. I can't reproduce what you're saying - this after literal years of twisting. You get an innate feel for the timing of things after even a short time twisting. This variance just doesn't happen, and was never discussed during live (as far as I'm aware). I'm not spouting things to argue, I've played a Bard for years. Show me a video and I'll recant.

But yes, the 4 song buff thing is the main point. Non-Bards are not going to care nor understand about the rest. It's Secret Bard Business.

The reason this matters is because things become "true" just by repetition. Then you get the situation where if some ass in game doesn't see four icons in his buff bar, he accuses a Bard of being crap or lazy. This happened to me many times on live. I had people telling me if you don't have 5 songs up you're a bad Bard yadda yadda. So I did all the research and got the facts and argued back, and just like in this thread with part time Bards saying all sorts of anecdotal nonsense, when it's tried it doesn't hold up. No kidding, because it's patently wrong.

Remember when Bards were blamed for aggroing all of Hate just by singing any song at all? Yeah, same deal. I was forbidden from singing during Hate raids for months because of that pariticular bit of bullshit, and blamed for raid wipes caused by some other player's stupidity. It gets old fast.

That is all [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by t0lkien; 07-06-2013 at 10:07 PM..