View Single Post
Old 03-15-2024, 10:16 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rader [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can buy most of these, especially camping, the original devs probably were surprised by the popularity of the game and the willingness of players to stay logged on for days/weeks at a time (or account share, whatever). But raiding? I mean, what would be the point of guilds if not to get 50-100+ players on at the same time in order to zerg red cons?
What do you mean? Guilds existed before raiding did. Now I did not play fucking meridian 59 or UO, as those were before my time thank god. But I am fairly sure that Everquest did not anticipate large swarms of players overtaking "unkillable" mobs. It was an evolution of the 3D MMO, of which EQ was a pioneer. If you weren't playing the game back then raiding was essentially trailblazed, even in WoW, which used EQ as their model, raiding was relatively not mastered yet, they had just started getting a feel for it from observing its progress on EQ.

But to answer your original question, Guilds were social networks same as today.