View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In this thread, twinking includes being given or purchasing items that you couldn't obtain yourself.

I think the OP is encouraging people to play in a way where they have to camp/quest their own items instead of just gathering up plat to get a decent weapon.
So the idea is that melees must be incredibly underpowered and utterly dependant on the kindness of casters who could trivially go off and solo for a far greater rate of XP gain? "Classic" (i.e. pre-Kunark) melee gear sucks balls. It sucked balls in 1999, it sucks balls today. Where's the fun in being the boat anchor slowing everybody else's progress to a crawl?

After the fun of the initial discovery stage I would probably have quit EQ in 1999 if I hadn't discovered my Paladin could upgrade his gear, first by smithing his own banded armor and then selling banded armor to others for the pp to buy better stuff (not that there was a whole lot to buy early on, "trade only" was the mantra until Hate stones became a platinum sink for high level chars.)

There's no doubt that this server is way overfarmed and the player economy suffers from the huge glut of gear. But I see zero attraction in replacing that mildly negative circumstance with the outright horror of trying to tank in a mix of leather and rawhide with a 6/26 weapon.