View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Large Rat

I was 14 years old, it was November of 1999. I had read about Everquest on its main site, god I loved the original site with the music playing and everything. I had decided on what race and class to play, so that when I finally saved up enough money to buy it and convinced my parents to let me use their credit card, I got it. I was the youngest of three, so I generally got to play new games last, but this time, I said "I picked the game, I paid for it, and I'm going to be paying the $10 a month to my parents, I'm going first."

I created Alelo, the Wood Elf Druid who promptly died of a fatal fall. Oh Kelethin (I was a little disappointed when I started here next to the PoD, but loving it so far!). So my hour of play time had finished and it was my brother's turn to play. He created a Dark Elf Shadowknight. He had finally found his way out of the maze city Neriak when I let him know his hour was up, he glared at me as if though I was a demon out to steal his soul. I let him play for a little more (turns out our oldest brother wasn't interested). Since he was going to be off to school a couple of hours away and my oldest brother not playing, I had the game all to myself.

I eventually remade my druid and named the new incarnation Aleloh. I remember how I moved items from the original to the new one, finding a safe spot away from people and dropping everything on the ground [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. I had joined a guild by then in 2000, Azure Guard on Veeshan, the only guild I had ever been a part of in EQ and I stayed in it until I quit for good in 2004. In fact, if I were to log into EQLive with either my druid or beastlord, they'll still have that tag on their head. Thinking about my history in EQ made me realize, I never actually got to the level cap with my druid, despite playing it for the better part of two years (I got to 50 or late 40s, don't remember). In December, 2001 when Shadow of Luclin came out, I switched mains to a Vah Shir Beastlord. I LOVED the Beastlord, absolutely loved it. I was a fan of LDoN and its dungeons, but my interested had started waning. By the release of GoD, I had pretty much stopped enjoying the game. Shortly after OoW and not playing for weeks at a time, I cancelled my account for good.

I remember little tidbits of my time in EQ way back when. I was in South Karana and seeing it filled with people, then RoK was released and it was empty. I remember losing *two* levels on a spectacularly bad day in LoIO. The first time I stepped on the snow covered continent of Velious and seeing the gigantic bridge in Iceclad Ocean. My brother coming home from college with a binder full of Casters' Realm printouts and EQAtlas printouts.