View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squabbles123 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I went ahead and bolded your assumptions as well.

Twinking is not required, its optional, you can start a new character and play it "correctly" or just twink some basics (like a decent weapon and banded armor) to get into your teens quickly or something. I would suspect that selling EVERYTHING you own on a character you spent over a year playing to start over is NOT what normally happens. Not every twink out there is a person switching mains (which is a dumb concept on a server like this anyway honestly), I'd wager that MOST of them are just bored with their class and want to try something new, they have tons of money or gear laying around and they use they to fund the new toon. My "main" is a level 35 Shaman right now, I got a decent 1HS and some basic STR items...so I rolled a Paladin and twinked those over (along with a full set of Banded I made for them)...I'm not "switching mains", I'm just interested in playing more than 1 character...I'm already thinking about my 3rd and Paladin is level 12.

You don't need a "farming class" to farm at level 60, a warrior can farm at 60, maybe not blues, but you don't need to kill blues to farm money, literally EVERYONE can farm at 60, so yes, it most certainly is "easy". Sure there is competition, how is that different for the lowbie? He has competition as well, with smaller rewards. As well, the actual "farming classes" can farm naked anyway.

A level 60 doesn't have to worry about travel time, drop 60p (or whatever) on a port or just get a free one from your guild mates. Guild mates could also be used to safely move the items.

They don't need to spend time doing any of that...they already did it, before they made the character. The dude in full colored plate with top tier weapons doesn't need to farm anything.

As far as the line, I suppose that comes down somewhat to the item in question. If its a cheap fairly common item, need before greed, its not hard to inspect a player and see they are wearing junk. If its a EXPENSIVE item, like something worth 1000pp+, I'm okay with something like that being roll on by basically everyone, those are speciality items that are rare and in high demand...I don't expect exclusiveness on an item like THAT. I would prefer in those situations it went to someone who was more likely going to use the item over someone who is just going to sell it (or at least offer to sell it to the loser at a discount), but I can't really complain in that situation.

I'm much more talking basically items before ~ level 50 or so, pre-raid stuff most people don't REALLY care about, stuff half the server just gives away anyway, those things should to given to the non-twinks basically everytime.
New players can join guilds and get ports from guildies too, it happens all the time in fact.

What's your highest level? Do you have a 60? If not, when you get to 60, do some farming for yourself, record the time invested (counting travel time, EC selling time, transfer time, etc) and how much plat you farmed. I bet you'd be quite surprised at how long it actually takes to farm plat, even as a 60.

To say a twink can't use an item as much as a non-twink is just wrong. A twink doesn't roll on an item just to put it in his bank and look at.

What happens in a group with "Johnny-needs-it-the-most", 2 twinks, and 3 average geared players? Everyone rolls on an item that drops. It's a fair roll, everyone gets the same shot at it. The item goes to average geared player. It's good for 150p. That's enough to put a dent in average player's next planned upgrade purchase. Do you fault him for looting it over "Johnny-needs-it-the-most"? How is this outcome any different for Johnny than if twink got it, or anyone not Johnny got it or if the item never dropped at all? Johnny has not lost anything.

For me personally, I pass on everything when I'm leveling a twink, but I'm not going to fault someone for rolling on something they had an equal hand in getting to drop because it'd give them more time to play the character they want to play and less time farming. And you can say all you want about how that 150 plat may only represent 10-15 minutes of farming as a level 60 (in truth it's probably more time), but it adds up to a hell of a lot of time if you're passing up on all loot because of someone else's moral code.
Last edited by Ravager; 01-17-2017 at 06:58 PM..