View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 08:28 AM
Planar Protector

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Changes regarding AE Spells
Recently the staff had internal discussions related to the effectiveness of various AE methods being used by players, specifically that the number of mobs being killed at once far exceeded what was possible back in the day of classic Everquest. When determining what prevented this from being possible during Classic, we found that it was not necessarily mechanical, but more technological reasons that limited it. For example, having 100 mobs in one tiny area would not have happened back then for several reasons such as PC Processing power (CPU/Video constraints), networking bandwidth requriements (56k lol), and quite possibly server limitations at the time as well.
While I fully support the killing of Chardok AOE groups and appreciate the immense amounts of hard work that has been into making this server successful, why would you decide to be dishonest about your reasoning and completely change one of the biggest raid encounters in the game to do so?

In 2001 I worked for an ISP and had access to a T1 whenever I wanted, and 128K ISDN lines were cheap and readily available in the city where I lived. EQ doesn't use enough data to even saturate a 128k ISDN line, even when AOEing. Either option was better than playing EQ than my current rural wireless ISP with ping times of 100+ in 2016. By 2001 we were up to 1.7GHz Pentium 4s and Nvidia GForce3 video cards... which were more than capable of AoEing zones like Chardok, Seb, Fear, etc. In fact me and friends often did just that. I'm willing to bet you could still do an AOE groups (before this nerf anyways) on p99 with a P4 1.7Ghz and a GForce3 video card with the graphics turned down and logs turned off, no problem!

Both in 2001 on Live and on p99 In we had no problems AOEing fear for CT in 1 or 2 pulls at most, now that will require a minimum of 8 AOE pulls making it take much longer and adding significantly to the lag in the zone and server stress as guilds have much more time to mobilize lots more people for CT now.

♦♦ Nikkanu (60 Dark Elf Cleric) ♦♦
♦♦ Psychoactive (60 Ogre Shaman) ♦♦
♦♦ Recycling (60 Iksar Necromancer) ♦♦
♦♦ Silentblade (60 Dwarf Rogue) ♦♦
♦♦ Yourack (60 Human Monk) ♦♦
♦♦ Bargains (EC Mule) ♦♦
Last edited by Nikkanu; 09-05-2016 at 08:58 AM..