View Single Post
Old 03-11-2024, 02:07 AM
Decaying Skeleton

When I first started playing on P99 I remember being on Orc Hill and someone in my group nuked a mob down below and killed it before it got to our group and I was scared we might get banned. Because when I was a kid my next door neighbor found a spot in highpass or high keep (I can't remember which) where you could climb on the roofs of buildings and nuke NPCs, and they couldn't reach you. This allowed him to safely kill very high level mobs, and gain a ton of experience. He gained a lot of levels and made a decent amount of platinum, and then one day he was banned for 2 days, but he said it was still worth it and that he would do it again because of how much experience and $ he made.

I think it got patched pretty soon afterwards, but I sometimes wonder if other EQ veterans were aware of this or even remember it. It doesn't seem to be a thing on P99, but I remember always being cognizant of making sure not to nuke mobs while at a higher elevation after my friend got a ban for it.

I also remember that if you were in a duel and you disconnected your character would do way more damage than normal. It's like all of the damage caps were removed. We used to like to give low level characters on our accounts executioners axes and then challenge higher level players to duels and type /quit and then laugh hysterically when our low level character slaughtered them.

I also remember when we used to ask to see certain items in the trade window, usually Oracle robes, and whenever we saw the item disappear from their body as it was no longer equipped the player, we knew it was on the player's mouse, and that they were going to get ready to open trade. At this point we would move sporadically, usually while playing a gnome and it would cause the player to drop the item, and one of us would pick it up and keep it. They actually did a hotfix / patch over this that started asking players if they were sure they wanted to drop the item because of us (this may have been done on other servers, but I remember a group of us specifically doing this on Tunare).

I remember people using duels to disarm other players and steal their weapons too. I think they had to patch that too.

I remember when they brought Rubicite armor back briefly and made it drop in Najena (I feel like no one else remembers this, but my friends and I spent an entire weekend doing this before realizing the only piece that didn't seem to drop was the breastplate, but then again we were only killing trash mobs near the entrance due to being low level).

I remember there was this glitch in Kaladim where you could buy a certain item related to pottery and then sell it to another merchant in the same zone for way more platinum than you purchased it for. I remember being so weighted down with coins that my character could barely move, and I had some high elf following at me demanding I stop because what I was doing was cheating. This was the first time I ever really felt rich in the game. This eventually got nerfed/removed. I don't remember what the specific item was anymore, but it was related to pottery.

I feel like I'm forgetting a lot of things honestly. I remember someone telling me that there was a portal in the Karana river that could teleport you to North Freeport or something but I never saw it.

I did see the jail in Qeynos. Small room with no exits. I got summoned there after I scammed a player into giving me an item or something. I remember being so scared because I was playing the game and it suddenly just said loading, please wait, and I realized I was in the catacombs in a room I couldn't get out of and someone messaged me saying something about hello, this is GM such and such, and being a kid, I was actually freaking out like I was in an interrogation room, I ended up typing /quit and was scared to log back in, so when I finally did, I made a character on another server, thinking I was safe from justice when all of the sudden someone sent me a really hateful message cursing me out. It had to be someone who worked at Verant / SOE too because who would this random person be that's messaging a level 1 character on a random server.

I think I actually argued back in forth with the person and they told me I thought I was slick and how I was going to get in a lot of trouble etc. I went back to my server and never heard anything about it again, no warnings, no bans or anything.

As an evil gnome I also used to trick elves into following me to the necromancers guild in Ak'Anon and then convincing them to consent me so I could steal their items.

I was a toxic little kid back then, but a lot of people were. I think P99 players forget that it wasn't always a bunch of older folks just looking to help each other out and re-live nostalgia. Back in the day there was a ton of cutthroat hormonal teenage boys on this game, lol.