View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Planar Protector

Default Chapter 3: A Chance Meeting

Wedar learned the ways of the monk very quickly under the guidance of Glox, every test he was given was easily overcome. Glox pushed Wedar hard, whether it be to test the limits of his body by leaping from the gorges of the Overthere or by testing his patience and prowess in reaching the depths of Droga undetected. Most contributed this to Wedar’s natural abilities, yet little did they know he was fueled by revenge.

In time, Wedar exceled to a level unattainable by Glox, and was time for him to leave the shores of Kunark in search of new knowledge and power. His master sensed this, and offered his final lesson.

“Wedar, every master wants to see his disciple achieve greatness, but few want them to exceed the boundaries of their teaching…” Glox paused, “Even as I swell with pride to see you grow strong and represent our House, bitterness flows on my tongue to see you master our ways so effortlessly and see you on the pinnacle of knowledge beyond my comprehension!” Glox pounded his fist on the wall with such force that Wedar assumed a defensive stance, yet then noticed the brick and mortar give way to a secret compartment.

He reached into the compartment and pulled out a long staff that was carefully wrapped, as he unfolded the dusty cloth the great weapon was revealed. “Take this, my prized pupil. This fighting staff is imbued with the strength of Cazic himself, may it serve you well in my final task for you.”

“Final task..?” Wedar asked, half distracted by the sheer power that emanated from the weapon before him.

“Yes, a final lesson to embolden the hate in your heart and set you on a path that culminates in your ultimate revenge. Let this staff feast on the crude elemental blood that has infested your homeland… slay 10,000 of these primordial beings! Rend their spirit to dust and sit upon their hollowed husk! Only once this task has been completed will you truly know Tranquility”.

He smiled at the challenge Glox laid before him and nodded his head in acceptance. Long have been the years in Kunark! It was time to return to Odus, vengeance would no longer be an unfulfilled dream! He grasped the staff and slung it across his back, and headed out into the night to catch the first boat to the mainland.

Some days later, his vessel ran aground on the sands of his homeland. Wedar allowed himself a moment of nostalgia, remembering the times his mother brought him to this beach to chase the various wisps that dance back and forth across the shores. He savored the memory, but quickly dismissed it from his mind, today he must maintain focus: today his blood quest begins. He ventured through the forests of Toxxulia, and there in a brief clearing of mist was the gates of his home city: Paineel.

The skeletal guards quickly recognized his bloodline and granted him safe passage. He wasted little time and headed towards the newly built city of his ancestors, however he was stopped in his tracks as he witnessed the large chasm that was before him. The sheer power that was needed to move so much earth was staggering and beyond comprehension, Wedar peered over the edge and although the sun was at its highest, he could barely make out the bottom below. He could, however, smell the sulfur that emanated from the great hole in the ground.

“Elementals…” he cursed them under his breath and clenched his fist with such force that blood seeped forth from his calloused hands. He proceeded to the entrance of the great Ruins of Old Paineel and brought forth the key he always kept in his satchel, ever since he was a hatchling. He found the hidden groove just below the water line and gently twisted the key. The great boulder creaked open, Wedar held his breath and swam headlong into the darkness.

It wasn’t long before he emerged on the other side, a faint orange glow filled the room from the torches left burning. He brought only his eyes above the water line so he could assess his surroundings undetected. There, after so many long years, he saw his sworn enemy… 6 large elementals floated silently in the hall before him. Once great statues graced this hall, honoring Paineel’s heroes… now these defilers! They must all be cleansed. He silently crept onto the ledge before him, careful to keep his tail in the water so no droplets fell into the pool below and gave away his position. Like an assassin he sulked, moving in the shadows along with the flicker of the torches.

He contemplated how he would draw first blood, he studied his enemies for what seemed like an eternity, yet they remained unmoving. Then he saw his opportunity, a guard was coming up the hallway on patrol, heading right for him. He sheathed his shuriken and waited, as the massive earth elemental reached the pond before him, Wedar struck. With every fiber in his core he grabbed the hulking beast and pulled him into the water, using his agile lizard body to gracefully pierce the water with but a sound!

With his prey in the water, alone, he went to work on the great body of earth. He struck the shoulders and joints, searching for a pressure point, yet the rock was sharp with bits of obsidian. He struck it his staff with all his might, yet the rock shook his weapon so violently he was nearly disarmed. He rolled with the punches of his foe, but they hit with such strength his flesh was nearly ripped from his bones. Wedar was in the fight of his life, and he was losing, badly. The minion wrapped its enormous fist around Wedar’s throat and plunged him deep under the water, holding him there and squeezing the life from his body.

There was no escape, so he assumed the shroud of death to try and fool his foe. He let all but a bit of air escape his lungs, his body went limp even though the pain coursed vehemently through his body, and used his lifetime of training to slow his vitals to a crawl. The minion was not so easily fooled. He held fast to Wedar, feeling for even the hint of a heartbeat to reverberate through his stony core. He pounded on his ribs, wanting to be sure of his victory. Wedar could not hold out, water seeped into his lungs and he cringed, he flung his legs up around his foe and tried to armbar his way out of the vice grip, but he lacked the strength in his weakened state. Blackness started to fill his eyes and darkness crept into his thoughts, “Mother, I have failed you…”

Just then, as he was on the edge of death, he caught the glimpse of a shadow and then saw a great axe come down and dig deep into the arm of the elemental! It released its grasp and Wedar shot up immediately for air, there he saw a great warrior doing battle with this fierce minion of Brell. Hot magma dripped from its wounds and boiled the water where it fell and turned to stone. Strong as this warrior was, this filth of the earth still had the advantage, its strength and speed were beginning to take its toll, even while wounded. Wedar saw the glowing hot wound and saw an opportunity, with all his strength lunged with his staff and thrust it deep within the glowing magma, all the way to the being’s core. It paused momentarily and let out a loud, eery shriek… much like a tempered blade plunged into water. The minion fell and turned to a colorless gray heap.

Wedar and his timely savior both looked at each other, a brief moment of panic evident on their faces. Not far away were reinforcements, surely they heard this hideous shriek… they grabbed their weapons and readied for battle. Yet only the flickering of the torch and occasional drip of water echoed through the halls. They peered over the ledge, there remained the 6 faceless beings, floating undisturbed.

“What in the name of Zek..?” The warrior said, puzzled at what he saw. Wedar reflected on what had transpired, and tried to think back to all the teachings he had on the ancient world to make sense of the situation.

“They are but minions serving the hand of their Master” Wedar concluded. “Strong and Intelligent, yet commanded to guard their posts for fear of being dismissed back into the ether from whence they were summoned.”

With that they rested a bit more easy, yet still retreated to the safety of Paineel to regroup and bind their wounds. Wedar took out his staff and carved a tiny notch with his shuriken: The first of 10,000. He then turned to his companion and expressed his gratitude.

“I owe you a blood debt, my friend, you saved me from certain death” he outstretched his hand but the warrior waved him off.

“Bah, you owe me nothing! I am a member of the Azure Guard, sworn to protect Norrath and its citizens, I was merely doing my duty… and having a bit of fun!” The large man bellowed as he sharpened his axe.

“Well I thank you regardless, Guardian of Norrath.” Wedar said. “And to whom do I owe my thanks..?”

The warrior removed his great horned helm, revealing the war paint etched across his face, a telltale sign of the Wolves of the North. “I am Bardoc.”