View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 08:27 AM
Planar Protector

Default Chapter 9: A Quest Completed

Shadowgrey signaled to his comrades huddled in the cave, they all stood waiting to attack on his mark. The wizard held the cleric by the throat and raised his other hand to the sky, ready to crush her skull.

Then, to everyone’s surprise, Nishoba stood up and jumped on the back of the wizard! He placed the wizards hand under his armpit and leaned back, the hand twisted with a hideous crunching sound. Wracked by the pain, Yael screamed and dropped Ameliorate to the floor, he spun and flung the monk from his back. He turned to look in disbelief at the sight before him: Nishoba stood there rejuvenated. A green fungus was sprawled out from his tunic and had covered his wounds as he laid in wait under his death deception, waiting for his opportune moment to return to the fight. A better moment could not have been chosen!

Ameliorate rushed over to Bardoc’s body and began her prayers once more. Nishoba continued his assault on Yael, he learned from his mistakes and carefully picked his punches, avoiding the sharp obsidian that was sprawled over his body. Even though Yael was weakened, he was still deadly. Every blow he landed hit with force, even to an agile monk. He channeled the spirit of Quellious and mended his wounds with her magical energy, but it only yielded a brief advantage. Yael still had mana reserves and he called them forth, shards of magic ripped the monks flesh and he was bloody once more. Another mighty blow landed and Nishoba went flying against the door to the Underfoot Plane! He fell to his knees and Yael rushed over to deliver the death blow.

As a last resort, Nishoba pinched a series of nerves on his chest, shoulder, and arm and he felt a massive rush of adrenaline that shrunk his pupils and heightened his senses. The world seemed to move in slow motion, and he was able to dodge everyone of Yael’s blows! He knew this state of voidance would not last, so he made the most of it, landing all manner of counterstrikes to weaken the wizard. He chipped away at his core, bit by bit. Behind the wizard he noticed Ameliorate pull Bardoc through the blue mist portal and back to their side… once again the tide of the battle shifted back to the Azure Guardians!

He saw Bardoc begin to suit his armor and knew he needed to buy his comrades a few more precious moments. He felt the adrenaline begin to dissipate and his world began to speed up. He could not avoid the powerful strikes for much longer. With a final surge of energy he tackled the great Elemental and isolated the rocky limbs between his legs and arms. Yael rose with the monk stretched across his back, with his gargantuan hands he grabbed the monk by the hands and feet and began to pull him towards the ground.

Nishoba felt his ligaments and tendons stretch to their limits, he tightened his core as best he could but the wizard’s strength was too much. Ameliorate looked over and began to cast her words of healing. Nishoba interrupted her.

“N-n-noooo!” he cried, “Our hopes… lie with Bardoc.. save… Bardoc!” She knew her words to be true, Bardoc was still weak and in need of tending. With teary eyes she turned her back on her longtime friend and began to cast her wards of protection and healing prayers on Bardoc. As she finished her spells, she heard the unmistakable sound of Nishoba’s spinal cord snapping in two. There was no cheating death this time: The monk had fallen.

Bardoc stood, a mystical glow of green and blue emanating from his body, he unsheathed his weapons and glanced down at Nishoba’s lifeless body. “By the blood of my ancestors I swear that will be the last life you take. I’ve stood before greater beings than you, pitiful wizard, and they’ve all fallen by my hand. Now to dismiss you to the void so you can stop pretending to be a god and go back to being your master’s errand boy!”

Angered beyond belief, Yael summoned Bardoc before him, but before he could deliver a strike Bardoc stunned the wizard with a powerful headbutt, then followed up with a few precise strikes of his short sword. The wizard was still weakened by the shaman’s magic, but he felt the poison running its course. His limbs began to loosen, strength returned to his arms, and he felt his speed return. Faster than anticipated, the wizard grabbed the barbarian’s forearm and with a mighty blow struck his elbow. There was a hideous crunch and blood immediately poured out from Bardoc’s bracer. Instead of crying out he dug his blade into the elemental and twisted it. The wizard reeled from the blow but seemed intent only on delivering punishment, he swung his mighty fist once more and dislocated the barbarian’s jaw.

Ameliorate abandoned her prayers over Sadiki’s body and casted a spell of healing to mend Bardoc’s wounds. She knew she had to keep Bardoc alive and resurrect the rest of her party. But both her and the wizard knew if her collection of mana was drained and Bardoc fell, then the day was lost. It was a simple question of who could overpower the other. With each clobbering blow landed by Yael the barbarian answered in kind, shockwaves emanated throughout the cavern and a hail of magma and sulfur filled the air from the gruesome death race. Ameliorate felt weakened, her brow began to sweat as she channeled what little magical energy she had left. Persevere as she did, she knew they were losing and she had no way to shift the tide back to their favor.

Meanwhile, high above the battle, Wedar rematerialized in physical form. His life-force was always bound to here, his home. He felt the winds of Odus pass across his face and he looked to the sky and smiled. He uttered a prayer of thanks to Cazic-Thule, his reincarnation took longer than usual, perhaps a stern warning from the god for slaying the familiar in his image. Perhaps, but whatever, life was his once more! Without further hesitation he leapt out over the gorge that was before him and plunged into the darkness.

The battle raged on below, molten lava and slag dripped from wounds all over the wizard’s body. Bardoc was no worse for wear, but he knew Ameliorate had just mended the last of his wounds. He drew Yael in with a few quick feints then swung his axe deep into wizards chest, instead of a scream of pain his mind was filled with maniacal laughter as the elemental clasped his hand around the axe an clutched it to his chest. His lava blood enveloped the weapon and Bardoc was forced to release his grip from the heat. He swung around his short sword but the elemental now had both hands free to block the blow. He grasped the barbarian by the wrist and let the molten blood flow into his bracer. There was the awful sound and smell of sizzling flesh and Bardoc was forced to drop the last of his weapons.

The wizard laughed and toyed with the barbarian, “You are no man, but a child who has lost his toys... And now, boy, it is time for your punishment!”. He grabbed Bardoc by his breastplate and held him up high and proceeded to punch his body, careful not to kill him outright, but make him suffer as much as possible. His ribs cracked, his gut ached, his joints burned, and he struggled for breath.

“Now, once more you shall burn!” he held his hand back and began to conjure his magic. Bardoc opened his eyes and saw an object speeding towards him, at first he thought it to be another massive comet of ice to send him to his ruin, but then he saw Wedar come into focus from above and smash into Master Yael! His knee hit the wizard with such force that it drove him into the earth and a massive plume of dust filled the cavern. Wasting no time, the monk jumped out of the crater and grabbed his staff and his magical Celestial Fists from his charred remains, he stood before the crater and waited. The mighty blow must have stunned the wizard immensely as the cavern remained silent for some time, save the trickling of debris raining down on the cavern floor. For a moment Shadowgrey thought the Azure Guardians had finally achieved their victory, but then slowly the wizard rose as an orange glow filled the dusty air.

“So, the Defiler returns… it will be a pleasure to destroy you a second time.” He raised his hand and once again began to conjure his magic. “It is a pity I must vanquish you so quickly, but unfortunately my time is limited and I’ve much blood yet to spill!” He then launched a massive ball of fire at the monk, but right before impact he was enveloped in a magical aura and the fireball dissipated around him!

In disbelief Yael turned around to see none other than Sadiki, tapping an ancient rhythm on his magical drum. “Well what do you know… it still works!” exclaimed the bard as he twiddled his playing hand in the air. He shook his tambourine and the mystical notes tore through Master Yael’s mind. He unsheathed his short sword and stood between Bardoc and Wedar as he quietly sung his chant of battle.

Bardoc reached into his magical satchel and pulled forth a massive war maul, he tapped it in his palm as he spoke to the wizard: “You may have had success in smiting us individually wizard, but you’ll have no such luck under the assembled greatness of the Azure Guard!” Yael turned to see Nishoba perched on the ledge above him, and Impermeable standing guard over Ameliorate as she meditated.

The wizard was feeling weak and worn from the long battle, and now he had 6 battle hardened veterans to deal with. “Perhaps my time is coming to an end…” he whispered, “…but I’ll take as many of you with me to the abyss as I can!” Shards of obsidian sprouted from his fists and he lunged for Sadiki, the sharp bits of rock would have slashed his throat if Wedar hadn’t redirected the blow with his staff. Sadiki slashed across with his short sword and cut down the newly sprouted shards on Yael’s hands.

Before Master Yael could make his next move the heavy war maul came crashing upon him and leveled him to the ground. As he lifted himself up Nishoba swung his legs about Yael’s arm and bent his elbow backward, bits of rock flew through the air and the sound of smashing rock drowned out the screams. The wizard pulled a hidden shard from his body and would have put it through the monk’s eye but Sadiki grabbed a hold and blew on his piccolo, transporting Nishoba to safety.

Bardoc brought his war maul down once more and flattened Yael’s hand, bursting the shard to bits. The wizard began to murmur a desperate spell against the barbarian but Ameliorate stunned the wizard with a spell of her own! Before the wizard could turn he felt shaman magic enter his blood, once again his joints stiffened and felt heavy. Everyone closed in to finish off the wizard when he exploded into a fit of rage! The carbon and granite deposits on his joints burst and he unleashed a flurry of strikes in all directions, this took everyone by surprise and the great Elemental king landed many heavy strikes against his foes. Bardoc fell to his knees, the Blob stood stupefied as he tried to look at his nose which collapsed in on his face, Sadiki felt his forearms fracture, and Nishoba’s flesh was ripped from a hundred cuts.

Wedar, however, stood back in wait. He firmed his stance, he cleared his mind, and when he saw the wizard turn towards him he struck with an ashenhand. His fist plunged straight into Master Yael’s chest and would have pierced his heart if the demi-god had such a thing. The wizard hung in disbelief, molten lava poured forth from the wound, enveloping the monks arm. The monk simply stared at the wizard and leaned in close.

“For my mother” he whispered, and he snapped his hand back, a stream of lava following in its wake. A hideous shriek filled the cavern that shook the very walls, Yael’s body convulsed and an ethereal cloud gathered over him. A green wave of energy burst forth from his body then a pillar of light opened a portal above him and his life-force was sucked into the abyss. The wizard’s body fell to the ground and he turned into a colorless husk. Wedar shook the lava and slag from his body and opened his hand, in it he held the piece of Elemental Ore that Bardoc had so longed for.

Before anyone amongst the Guard could say anything, Shadowgrey and his companions of Rustle stepped forth from the cave. “My friends, I offer you my most sincere congratulations! Given the state you were in when the battle begun, I thought for certain you were doomed. Yet instead, you gave witness to the most glorious display of heart and strategy I’ve ever seen!” exclaimed the magician. “That is a prize I value more than gold or jewels… May the bards of Norrath sing your praises! Come comrades, let us leave this place and see what other adventures Norrath has to offer!” And with that their wizard opened a magical portal, one by one they began to step through.

“Shadowgrey!” Wedar shouted, and the magician turned. “Next time, feel free to help!” the monk said with a smile.

“Oh, I think I helped enough…” he replied with a smile of his own. Wedar seemed puzzled and was about to protest, then one of the final members of Rustle stepped towards the portal… it was the same Halfling cleric that resurrected his friends before the battle began! Before he could utter thanks the little one hopped into the portal and was off. Wedar looked at Shadowgrey in astonishment. He straightened himself, then knelt in a sign of respect. Shadowgrey nodded in thanks, and then stepped through the mystical portal and was gone.

The Azure Guardians gathered around the remains of the wizard, Ameliorate rushed to Wedar and inspected his arm. “You aren’t even burned! How is that possible?”

“I’ve spent half my life slaying these creatures, with each strike a fine mist of their magical energy is transferred to my scales. Over time, my limbs have developed an immunity to the intense heat of their core” he explained. “But enough about that, we were victorious today! Always a hair’s breadth on the verge of defeat yet we did not give up, we did not abandon hope. We persevered and now Bardoc is one step closer to completing his quest!” He held out the ore in his hand to his warrior friend.

Bardoc held up his hand and shook his head. “My friend, today’s victory does not belong to one man. Everyone played their part in this epic battle… we should let the gods decide the reward.” He reached into his pouch and brought forth his magical die and insisted everyone grab theirs as well (despite Wedar’s protests). They all gathered round and cast their faceless die on the cavern floor.

One by one as the die landed before each of them the blank face took shape with a number. 142 for Ameliorate, 544 for Impermeable, 322 for Wedar, 798 for Nishoba, and 297 for Sadiki. Both Wedar and Bardoc held their breath as the number of Bardoc’s die took shape.

“17!!” exclaimed Bardoc. “Ho! The gods always smite me with such luck!” laughed the barbarian. He grabbed the ore from Wedar’s hand and passed it to Nishoba. “Well earned, master monk. May this quest show you more favor than it has me!”

Wedar stood there confused at what he saw, he gathered the rest of his armor and goods and then came to approach Bardoc. “Why aren’t you upset? You have been consumed by this quest since you discovered it, and now you are once again not a step closer to completing it?”

Bardoc pulled Wedar to the side to speak with him. “My friend…” he began. “For Northmen like myself the greatest quest of all is to search for the perfect battle, one I can share at the campfire with my children and the elders of Everfrost alike. I believe I’ve found that here today! The world of Norrath will always be here, in every corner of this ancient land there is some artifact more powerful than the last. I ask you, when I’m old and sodded what use will I have from a set of pauldrons? I’d much rather be warmed by the memories I made here today with my friends… a prize such as that cannot be rewarded by even the most powerful wizard!”

The words hung heavy over Wedar’s head… what did he value most in life… Revenge or friendship? He looked back to see Sadiki and Impermeable laughing and recounting the battle to one another. Ameliorate hugged her timely savior Nishoba and then opened a mystical gate back to her home city, he caught a brief glimpse of her family welcoming her back as the gate closed behind her. Bardoc’s druid companion, Borobe, had just arrived through a portal of his own. They gathered in a circle and held hands, waiting for the druid to summon the mystical winds of Karana to carry them away.

Wedar thumbed the notches on his staff and looked at the dark cave before him, the familiar walls calling to him. With the sun still high he had the time to kill many more elementals before the day was done. But for perhaps the first time in his life, his quest of revenge seemed hollow.

Borobe was nearing completion of his spell when Wedar placed his hand on the druid’s shoulder. “Room for one more?” he asked.

Bardoc smiled and held out his hand, “Always, my friend”. They joined hands and a western wind crept into the cavern and carried the companions away in search of more adventure throughout the magical land of Norrath.