View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Fire Giant

Default Monk Twink Contest: Budget, Moderate, High End

Hi Everyone,

My triumphant return to EQ is going wonderfully and I am enjoying my time spent playing as a druid - much like I did in classic. In classic after 50, I created a monk alt.

My experience as a monk was always crazy - when I first got my hands on fungi/manastone for druid, I figured no harm in letting my monk borrow fungi. Then I liked monk more than druid so I sold off almost all of my druid's gear and was living large. Fungi/Tstaff/haste, etc. Eventually I sold my stuff and returned to my druid and my monk's gear was always odd - ei: 100k fungi tunic, 300p weapons; or 75k weapon but completely naked. For some reason I remember using Knuckle Dusters on my monk with FBSS at one time cause they looked cool, but thinking I could have used better alternatives for less plat.

So my question is: to get the most bang for your buck how would you twink a monk with ~2k, ~5k, or ~10k? You can make suggestions for any amount (100k, 500k) , or you can make suggestions for a budget set up (gear that will allow you to shine/solo/xp w/o opting to go to the next tier of more expensive gear) or you can give suggesttions for a high end set up. I have looked at the gear page on the wiki that has suggestions for gear pre-planar, planar and kunark, but I think it omits some of the great options now for an up and coming player.

Props goes to person with a setup that maximizes value and effectiveness of char. (EI: a monk that spent 100k on fungi but is naked, is probably not as good as spending 50k on tstaff, 10 on FBSS and 40 on other strong gear?)

I'll start with what I would try to get my hands on if I had ~2k, just to give an example. This is also pretty bad due to my lack of knowledge, but
Full Set of Wu's (~500p)
Wu's Trance Stick x 2 (~700p)
55hp rings (~250each?)
Random other gear I could find deal on in AH (for the last couple hundred plat)
Last edited by mefdinkins; 03-28-2012 at 12:29 PM..