Thread: Class help
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 09:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by manard
My big problem with the mage I guess is that you dont do any damage compared to a melee class. I just felt like a burden half the time. My pet hits for 28 if I go for a max level pet (lvl 30 mage) but it just doesnt feel like I am contributing anything. Then you get resisted three times and did absolutely nothing but a few hundred damage with your pet.

Utility, I didnt like either, being able to gate and invis is great, but slow movement speed, no root, and if I get caught without my pet, I am done for. It only happened once but it really bothered me.
If these are your major complaints about the Mage, I think you should give it another shot. Your DPS becomes outstanding around level 50. The level 49 pets are ridiculously powerful, you've got a very nice 25 point DS and most importantly you can click the Burnt Wood Staff for a 333 dmg nuke every 12 seconds. That is massive sustained DPS, and that's not even counting your ability to dump your mana on nukes if burst DPS is required. Mages are some of the best DPS in the game.

As for movement: you can easily, easily either farm the plat for Jboots on a Mage or simply camp them yourself. Really, it's quite easy either way. Mage is the absolute best (you might argue tied with Necro) class for pure plat farming. You can't solo the high end mobs like an Enchanter or Shaman, but your pet can absolutely mow through guards, seafuries, hill giants, spectres, etc... and do so with essentially no risk.

As for the roots, get a bag full of Wooly Silk Spider Nets or Crystalline Silk Nets. The latter are dirt cheap and will save your life repeatedly even with a 2 second cast time. Eventually you will get a full bag of the instant cast (and rechargeable) Wooly Silk Nets, at which point not having the actual spell root becomes more of a minor annoyance than a big deal, since you can carry around 30 instant casts of root with you in one bag, which is more than sufficient for breaking camps solo or for the occasional emergency root when caught without a pet up.

Mage is a great middle ground class in terms of actions per minute. You aren't running around pulling or casting all the time, but you've got to keep your pet attacking, hasted and well positioned, should be spamming your Burnt Wood Staff as much as possible, recasting DS on the tank frequently, and summoning mod rods and other items as needed. You've also got a surprisingly diverse (for such a seemingly limited class) range of playstyles depending on whether you are soloing, duoing or grouping. Example: solo you should be using the pet reclaim method with a fire pet, duoing you might fear kite with a Necro or Druid, or pet tank with a healer. And grouped you'll be keeping up a DS, summoning items (and players with CoTH) and occasionally blowing your mana bar on nukes or emergency CCing with pet offtank and root nets on an overpull.

tl;dr there's a lot more to the Mage class than /pet attack while you med or run around in circles.