View Single Post
Old 01-31-2024, 04:05 AM
Kobold

PS:

I've been tinkering with something on my own wikis that got me thinking about potential future enhancements for the Project 1999 Wiki, particularly in the realm of search functionality. CirrusSearch essentially draws relationship graphs between mediawiki pages using Elasticsearch. I'm using it on my wikis, but I'm aware it's not currently a part of the Project 1999 Wiki setup.

CirrusSearch is a big step up from traditional MediaWiki search tools. It can handle complex searches and categorizing content accurately. This is especially relevant when we consider the distinction between in-game items and the templates used on the wiki.

For instance, consider the way we're currently handling items with templates like {{:Ice Crystal Staff}} and {{ItemLink|Ice Crystal Staff}}. These serve very different functions, yet in terms of search and categorization, they might be treated similarly. If the wiki ever decided to use a network search tool, it could lead to dramatically less efficient searches and more convoluted relationship graphs.

If the Project 1999 Wiki ever considers adopting CirrusSearch, it could improve really improve the content searching.

I'm just putting this out there as a thought. I realize that integrating CirrusSearch might not be on the radar for the Project 1999 Wiki admins, but from my experience, it's a tool that could offer significant benefits in terms of search efficiency and data organization.