Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 07-14-2024, 12:27 PM
Planar Protector

Default bow kiting mechanics/question

Plenty of comments on ranger peeping with a bow not being a super viable way to exp but I'm curious just how "bad" is it?

Having just leveled a druid up with a lumi staff and by the low 50's seeing the mobs health drop by 3-5% every 20ish seconds I'm wondering is that kind of slow or way worse? granted i'm quadding but still..

Also, a mechanics question:
Given the double damage to stationary non rooted targets at 51+, is that literally the only scenario this functions or are there other situations where its double damage? like fear kiting? unsnared mob fleeing at low health? blinded by a WESS, snared, and out of melee so pathing around aimlessly?
Old 07-14-2024, 01:23 PM
Planar Protector

It’s not bad but it’s not as good as animal fear-kiting to around level 50. After that targets get few and far between outside Chardok zone line and WW.

Bow rotting opens up stuff like HK and other select leveling options. I find burning down 3-4k hps isn’t bad since there is little downtime. 6-8k is painful while still maybe better than other melee soloing efforts.

Double damage if not “rooted or fleeing”, which snare chasing you also counts for. There might be ways to cheese the bonus but the most consistent way is maximizing dps and assuming the penalty.

2h for the damage bonus
Solid worn haste + fleeting quiver
Good ratio bow that does eat arrows (I like an Exquisite or similar)
Tolan Bracer

If you are leveling with an Earthcaller or even Swarm and a Sky Cloak I’d prob skip over bows. Thats rarified air though.

Note: Priceless bow, Earthshaker, max haste and raid buffs I do like 38-45 dps on Zlexak or some HoT trash without the Disc. Penalized that’s like 20dps. I do about 13dps on Lucan with a dagarn bow while kiting but he has crazy AC. I havent parsed a blue but believe Troxx has leveled a lot like this. I expect a good bow setup while rooted is still around 30dps, which is like Bane of Nife.
Last edited by Snaggles; 07-14-2024 at 01:30 PM..
Old 07-14-2024, 01:37 PM
Planar Protector

I hunted Grobb 45-54.
Fleeting quiver, earthshaker (they were cheap back then…any 2h works), Tolan bracer. SCHW for haste.

I could kill 7 guards near the zone before they repopped. About 22 mins I think. So not super quick kills but definitely worked for me.

At that level a Swiftwind might better for the attack, damage bonus picks up the 50’s but I didn’t have an epic back then.
Old 07-14-2024, 01:46 PM
Planar Protector

Thanks for the info, 7 mobs every 22min doesn't sound bad.. all root and shoot? I think a polished naginata is only 1k (46 delay).
Old 07-14-2024, 02:24 PM
Fire Giant

Honestly, fatties with weighted axe are probably the best at it.

As for root and shoot on ranger, snare can be easier sometimes in that it lasts a way longer than root, but it requires room and is a lot more tedious.
Old 07-14-2024, 03:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the info, 7 mobs every 22min doesn't sound bad.. all root and shoot? I think a polished naginata is only 1k (46 delay).
Yep root and snare (stack both); that weapon will work great. Sneak to sell. Wolf form when possible also lets you vendor.

I used a Huntsman for my time there. Only have to watch the two warrior GM’s at the front. If you pull Avisk further away than the little cave tunnel to the left (like when he drops momentarily by the center of the area, they will aggro too.

Ultimately you can pull and rot each one by the zone in if you want. Makes for a quick escape.

Fatties can too but no Tolan bracer and outside clickies no root. Most my ranger bow rotting was done at minimal distance away.
Old 07-14-2024, 07:05 PM
Planar Protector

The named wurm for Huntsman quest is probably pretty uncontested on blue? I didn't realize till I checked the wiki that don't need to be factioned for the turn in.
Old 07-14-2024, 09:34 PM
Planar Protector

I’m sure it’s up frequently. Yea for hand in you need sneak and should have lev (so you don’t fall down when getting close enough to open the trade window). Past that it’s just training out two sets of giants which some buddies can help with.

I asked one brother to train a set to EW. Another took the other set to WL while I snuck in. My game schedule is really bad these days but would be glad to help if the stars align.
Old 07-15-2024, 09:25 AM
Planar Protector

next newbie ranger question related to this:

do the arrows need to be in said quiver to get the haste effect? currently only have a thunderhoof quiver which is only 4 slots, unsure if i have to keep adding stacks to it to get the extra haste.
Old 07-15-2024, 03:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
next newbie ranger question related to this:

do the arrows need to be in said quiver to get the haste effect? currently only have a thunderhoof quiver which is only 4 slots, unsure if i have to keep adding stacks to it to get the extra haste.
I haven’t done formal testing and tend to keep my arrows in there but understand it’s basically a worn haste item that stacks with other haste up to the cap.

With a Tolan bracer you can keep summoning arrows and leave them on your cursor. I believe like 13 stacks. Helps with those stunt kills.