Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Planar Protector

Default Whats the effect of the 2002/09/04 resist change patch on this server?

Quote:
Resistance Changes:

We've made some fairly drastic changes to the way the spell resistance system works. Previously, there was only the smallest benefit to having resists over a certain value. We've reworked resistance in its entirety, completely replacing the old system with one that is more logical.

The idea behind the changes is pretty simple: Resists should matter in a way that makes sense.

Important things to note about the new resistance system:

Resists matter more for PCs. There are now tangible differences between having 50, 150, and 250 in a given resistance, for example. Resistance buffs, bard songs, and resist gear have actual value, all the way up the line.
Conversely, resistances also matter more for NPCs. Some NPCs became more vulnerable to things they have always been vulnerable to, other NPCs became more resistant to things that they were inclined to be somewhat resistant to.
Resistance debuffs should also have more value, all the way up the line. For the first time, resistance debuffs now have the ability to bring NPCs that were lure-style only down into the range of being hit by normal spells.
The hard level limit involving players casting on NPCs has been removed. This used to be referred to in EQ folklore as the "Six Level Limit" (It was actually 1.25 times the caster's level, but more people likely thought about it the other way.) This means that in the vast majority of cases, there is at least a small chance that a person will be able to connect a spell with an NPC, even if they are out of that NPC's traditional level range.
Overall, against NPCs that have medium-to-high resistances of a given type, expect to see more full hits, fewer partials, but more full resists in the new system. Taken over time, the damage done by PC casters to semi-high resistance NPCs should be approximately the same, but will definitely improve when the proper debuffs are applied (we wanted to make sure that this did not turn into a universal nerf of casters).

We look forward to seeing how these changes play out in front of a larger audience.

Can anyone that experienced this patch comment? What exactly changed? what was the resist cap back in the days? This patch is a few week before planes of power.

This is also the same patch they introduced the minus 150 resist check on most VP aoes and trakanon aoes.

Before that, it was mostly based on levels as the patch states. And there was some kind of soft cap on resists.

I wanna figure out how this patch is currently effecting our current raid encounters, making some easier and/or some harder.

is there any plans to revert to the old resists, or are we stuck with PoP era resist system?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Planar Protector

i remember when this went in. people were mad. didnt realize it was right before pop tho, thought it was early luclin. i actually have some info ill share one sec lemme see if i can find it.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Planar Protector

my bad i have info on the pvp changes, just realized you were talking about pve. my bad.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Banned

Uthgaard I think did resists here and posted at length with graphs about it.

Good hunting to you N to the izzo.

If you need pvp specifics for how they work here, I'll be happy to forward you a piece of construction paper after I scribble all over it / put a hole through it with a crayon (please don't fix tho, I play a wizard).
Old 02-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Banned

can u include a source?

Quote:
I can literally write how druid spells costed 30mana and were 100% unresistable with a 1 second cast time

and sign it -EQ Staff circa 1999
Closed Thread