Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 08:39 PM
Aviak

Default VGOEmulator update

Just thought i would drop a update with a few video's on our progress. Keep in mind tho our main priority right now is get as much data collected as we can before they shut down. So we are always looking for collectors even if it's just to log in once so we can grab ability/spell info from you especially if you have a high level character of any class at this point.

On to the video's in order of when i recorded them.

This is just after we got into the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhxoePUU8lw

This is hard coded loading of spawns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBb9GZFaND8

This is loading spawns from our DB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bayarjC6uCY

This is being able to see other players ingame. (still a little buggy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwseCeuk1yQ
Old 05-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Fire Giant

This is great! I'm happy someone is taking up the task of doing this, best of luck to you guys.

Millburn Pennybags - Blue
Palmer Eldritch - Teal
Old 06-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Sarnak

Was this game actually any good at the beginning before it got patches that ruined it I presume? My computer back then was not good enough to run this game...
Tander - 55th Half Elf Bard

The Mystical Order || See what I'm Selling/Buying || Nagrith's JBoots MQ Service
Old 06-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was this game actually any good at the beginning
Phenomenal. But the launch was inversely bad. I won't say it was better than classic or whatever, but it was the best EQ-style MMO ever. That means it was leaps and bounds beyond EQ2. Imagine it as another planet in Norrath's universe(not the moon) with more races and some different classes.
Hella cool. Diplomacy! Group harvesting/crafting! XP for both! No instancing, either!
I'll post some screenshots when I'm not on mobile.
Edit: Can only find one at the moment.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This was my disciple; they were hybrid monk healers. They healed by punching enemies, then after a few combo points they could throw a heal on themselves or a friendly target.
Ignore the fact that I'm fighting a mouse; this was during beta, and that was supposed to be a Troll, but was a graphical bug.

But representation was something I loved about this game; it had black, asian, and white humans. It had cat people, wolf people, and fox people. Then there were half-giants instead of barbarians I think.
Unfortunately, there were still gnomes among the short races. Their town was cool though.
Last edited by murrpau; 06-03-2014 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: added screenshot
Old 06-30-2014, 02:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was this game actually any good at the beginning before it got patches that ruined it I presume? My computer back then was not good enough to run this game...
Murrpau's post is accurate. Vanguard could have easily been the greatest MMO ever developed.

From a design perspective, nothing really comes close. I'm not the kind of person who tends to have lots of alts since I prefer to focus on one character. But any time that I wasn't playing with my room mates, I'd roll random alts because every class was so unique and fun to play. Vanguard was truly ground breaking and you see a lot of their design pop up in modern MMOs (almost every MMO since Vanguard has had a version of their Disciple class, for example).

Not only were all of the classes worth checking out, but also all of the races. And there were a lot of them. Almost every single race had a really interesting introduction to the game. I say almost because my main was a Halfling and it was pretty generic hobbit stuff... go fetch me some pies, etc.

I was really blown away by my Kojani (Asian themed humans) Disciple. You started on a beach nearby a nearly destroyed village, and you received quests from this general dude riding a dragon. At first you had to do some menial tasks like committing theft and arson. After that you're ordered to go slay the mayor of the village. You find him in the back of his house and he goes through this generic eastern pacifist philosophy dialogue and ends up teleporting you or something? You wake up in a refugee village (populated by people trying to escape the Empire; you were an imperial soldier in the beginning part). There's a progressive quest line that's very eastern philosophy oriented, culminating in you undertaking different tests (the most memorable was something like the Test of Faith where you had to jump off of this really high cliff). You completed the quest line around level 20ish or so, which redeemed you from your dishonorable life as an imperial soldier and you got the "Lao'Jin Knight" title. The whole thing was just so interesting I wasn't even concerned with leveling, I just wanted to experience the storyline and the other rewards were a bonus. I remember there were a lot of opportunities for the quest to diverge and allow you to make the "evil choice," so I assume that was a path you could have taken as well.

I tried looking this stuff up but there's like no information online that I can find even about these introductory quests that you're thrown into when you start. So, I can only imagine how impossible it might be to try to recreate the game with so very few resources. At least EQ was well documented.

Anyways, that's really what set the game apart. Orcs also had a really great introductory quest line where you escape from slavery and must go through this mountain, completing several tasks that emulated some great Orcish hero. Essentially he did all this crazy stuff to reach the summit and light a fire, warning his tribe of another warring tribe's impending attack. Completing the quest and lighting the fire on the top of this mountain was one of the most satisfying MMO experiences ever.

This is how a lot of the quests worked even in the mid and late game. Yeah, they were designed very similarly to WoW quests but the actual content was much deeper and made you feel like you were actually playing a part in a story. That was really what set Vanguard apart, you actually felt like an adventurer in a robust fantasy world instead of an employee of a bear ass delivery service.

Obviously you had to trudge through a lot of bugs and broken game to experience this stuff, and the way they handled subsequent updates did more harm than good. One of my room mates played a cleric, and that class serves as a good example of what went wrong with Vanguard. The cleric class, like a lot of classes, wasn't fully implemented when the game launched. However, they were balanced around not having all of their stuff implemented so the class functioned fine. In one of the first few updates, they decided to "fix" the cleric. This included introducing what was essentially a spec system where you could follow a certain god and receive additional abilities. I think these were split up something like melee, smite, heal. The problem is that this added a ton of new power to the cleric, and since they were already balanced around not having this stuff, the class instantly became the best tank, dps, and healer in the game. It was really, really silly and an obvious sign that Vanguard was not going to last.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:31 AM
Fire Giant

I friggin loved VG. The game was robbed - it should have been the greatest MMO of all time. I'm stoked that someone is trying to preserve/resurrect it.

I sincerely hope you / you all are successful.

But which VG will you field? The one at release time was too buggy to play.

The one about 8 months in was probably close to the best.

Then Sillias came and started to wowify it. At the time I left he had just instituted changes that essentially made the game unsoloable. I hope it is not that one that you will bring into being.

In reality, what VG needed more than anything was itemization. As much as I would be interested in Classic VG, I think I might be MORE interested in a VG that is more representative of what VG COULD have been.

Whichever VG you bring, once again - you rock. Great work, please continue.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:38 AM
The Protector of Sunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrjun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Murrpau's post is accurate. Vanguard could have easily been the greatest MMO ever developed.

From a design perspective, nothing really comes close. I'm not the kind of person who tends to have lots of alts since I prefer to focus on one character. But any time that I wasn't playing with my room mates, I'd roll random alts because every class was so unique and fun to play. Vanguard was truly ground breaking and you see a lot of their design pop up in modern MMOs (almost every MMO since Vanguard has had a version of their Disciple class, for example).

Not only were all of the classes worth checking out, but also all of the races. And there were a lot of them. Almost every single race had a really interesting introduction to the game. I say almost because my main was a Halfling and it was pretty generic hobbit stuff... go fetch me some pies, etc.

I was really blown away by my Kojani (Asian themed humans) Disciple. You started on a beach nearby a nearly destroyed village, and you received quests from this general dude riding a dragon. At first you had to do some menial tasks like committing theft and arson. After that you're ordered to go slay the mayor of the village. You find him in the back of his house and he goes through this generic eastern pacifist philosophy dialogue and ends up teleporting you or something? You wake up in a refugee village (populated by people trying to escape the Empire; you were an imperial soldier in the beginning part). There's a progressive quest line that's very eastern philosophy oriented, culminating in you undertaking different tests (the most memorable was something like the Test of Faith where you had to jump off of this really high cliff). You completed the quest line around level 20ish or so, which redeemed you from your dishonorable life as an imperial soldier and you got the "Lao'Jin Knight" title. The whole thing was just so interesting I wasn't even concerned with leveling, I just wanted to experience the storyline and the other rewards were a bonus. I remember there were a lot of opportunities for the quest to diverge and allow you to make the "evil choice," so I assume that was a path you could have taken as well.

I tried looking this stuff up but there's like no information online that I can find even about these introductory quests that you're thrown into when you start. So, I can only imagine how impossible it might be to try to recreate the game with so very few resources. At least EQ was well documented.

Anyways, that's really what set the game apart. Orcs also had a really great introductory quest line where you escape from slavery and must go through this mountain, completing several tasks that emulated some great Orcish hero. Essentially he did all this crazy stuff to reach the summit and light a fire, warning his tribe of another warring tribe's impending attack. Completing the quest and lighting the fire on the top of this mountain was one of the most satisfying MMO experiences ever.

This is how a lot of the quests worked even in the mid and late game. Yeah, they were designed very similarly to WoW quests but the actual content was much deeper and made you feel like you were actually playing a part in a story. That was really what set Vanguard apart, you actually felt like an adventurer in a robust fantasy world instead of an employee of a bear ass delivery service.

Obviously you had to trudge through a lot of bugs and broken game to experience this stuff, and the way they handled subsequent updates did more harm than good. One of my room mates played a cleric, and that class serves as a good example of what went wrong with Vanguard. The cleric class, like a lot of classes, wasn't fully implemented when the game launched. However, they were balanced around not having all of their stuff implemented so the class functioned fine. In one of the first few updates, they decided to "fix" the cleric. This included introducing what was essentially a spec system where you could follow a certain god and receive additional abilities. I think these were split up something like melee, smite, heal. The problem is that this added a ton of new power to the cleric, and since they were already balanced around not having this stuff, the class instantly became the best tank, dps, and healer in the game. It was really, really silly and an obvious sign that Vanguard was not going to last.
This makes me want to try the game.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Aviak

Been awhile since a update sorry about that been busy.

Here are the major points factions have been introduced so NPC's should show the right color name now and character running/walking movement should be fluid now (Rotation still a little choppy tho). Emotes are in and working and offensive targets should show the right information along with characters having Titles now..

ScreenShot_00163.jpg

And here are the patch notes since the last update.

r642
Common: Added 2 new log categories: LOG_TITLE, LOG_FACTION Parser: Fixed struct changes to titles and factions New VCProject files.
---------------------
r641
Fixed another bug with factions. The count wasn't initialized. Updated the faction code to use the new DB column names.
---------------------
r640
Changed `value` column names in factions code. Added FactionInfoList.* to project files.
---------------------
r639
Attempt to fix compile issues on Windows.
---------------------
r638
Fixed some linux compile issues in UnrealActor.
---------------------
r637

---------------------
r636
Added basic faction functionality to WorldCharacter. ChunkServer now handles the OP_ClientNpcFaction opcode. Added 'factionset' and 'factionget' commands. More comment clean up for the title code. Added a basic say handler to LUA that lets ...
---------------------
r635
added in struct for OP_ServerSlashCommand
---------------------
r634
Cleaned up my title code a bit and added better (doxygen ready) comments to it. Moved the TitleInfoList into the WorldDatabase class so that it isn't a global anymore. Fixed a compiler warning in ConfigReader.
---------------------
r633
Fixed a bug that caused the PacketStruct class to never load the last 2 bytes of data if the struct elements are 1 byte types.
---------------------
r632
Login: additional loggers Parser: Fixes to warnings World: Public binary commit
---------------------
r631
fixed typo in OP_ClientAccessObject struct
---------------------
r630
Camp command: Added robustness check vs invocation from clients with empty (null) characters, including added warnings to client and server console.
---------------------
r629
Quick fix to CampTimers to prevent world crash - still need root cause determined Added MaxMovementSpeed rule, default of 1500 Capped .speed command due to communication issues with players using ridiculous speed settings vs proximity spawn...
---------------------
r628
Changeing faction data names to all match
---------------------
r627
fixed the Packet struct 'WS_Unknown904' (type=2) (server) not found changed the opcodelist.h and just added the structs for faction that ratief needs
---------------------
r626
Volt: New Telon DB as requested (possible camptimer character data issues)
---------------------
r625
Added `factions` table for Ratief (raw data, ignore the `faction_value` column, just for reference)
---------------------
r624
OP_ServerClearTarget2 & OP_ServerClearTarget3 for Volt
---------------------
r623
added OP_ClientOffensiveTargetOOR
---------------------
r622
Additions to HandleOffensiveTargetRequest: Offensive target portrait now hooks up to target level and target compass (direction and distance). Also a value for target dot color is added, but it is for now hardcoded to "white".
---------------------
r621
Fixed two issues with command /hail.
---------------------
r620
Implemented handler for right-click on actor. (Any right-click of a no-PC actor results in "hail" default action. Thus no fancy stuff yet.)
---------------------
r619
Replication Movement Fluidity: Actors will now replicate fluidly, rather than jumping around. Walk/Run animations will show. Changes made to include Velocity in Movement Packet, changed velocity algorithm. What is NOT done is Actor Rotation...
---------------------
r618
Added SendConnect() to Process(), section where tcp.reconnect() is called. This will send the proper TCP Connect packet to the Login Server, to properly re-establish connection after a Login Server crash.
---------------------
r617
Made a few changes to how character info is set: -- Removed the character->Set stuff per the comment in SendPlayerInitPackets() ++ Moved those character->Set's to WorldDatabase::LoadCharacter() preparing for loading more character data from...
---------------------
r616
Dakadin: Quick fix to stop world crashing until we figure out the cause of the empty queue
---------------------
r615
Committing public binaries
---------------------
r614
Few more files to clean up.
---------------------
r613
New vgo_world.sql with Volt's `emotes` table, and cleaned out test data from `lua_script` table.
---------------------
r612
Linux fixes
---------------------
r611

---------------------
r610
Emotes RC 0.1
---------------------
r609
Emotes RC 0.1
---------------------
r608

---------------------
r607
Raw data through today's logs
---------------------
r606
C++ Parser changes Should parse just about everything now (except unreal)
---------------------
r605
SQL: Cleaned up spawn tables, added character_attributes and FKs to character tables *Noticed there was no title_id 600, so I made them Citizen (600) of VGOEmualtor (601, type 1) !! new vgo_world.sql !!
---------------------
r604
proj files for the title list
---------------------
r603
Emotes: Implemented targeted emotes and broadcast to nearby characters. Emote: Minor rework and fix for broadcast to nearby characters.
---------------------
r602
another adjustment...
---------------------
r601
Changed the WS_Titles struct to be consistent with the other title structs.
---------------------
r600
Fixed some typos in the title db field names.
---------------------
r599
Fixed my mistake of using the wrong element names for the title structs.
---------------------
r598
Updated the title related opcodes.
---------------------
r597
Adding my work to get titles working in game. I also cleaned up the character save/load functions a bit in preparation for for save/loading in the future.
---------------------
r596
another attempt at udp lockup fix
---------------------
r595
fixing my mistaken sln commit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]ops:
---------------------
r594

---------------------
r593
fixed a udpserver crash
---------------------
r592
Renamed class _VoltDraftTickTimer to TickTimer
---------------------
r591
Renamed class _VoltDraftTickTimer to TickTimer
---------------------
Old 06-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Sarnak

Vanguard more than anything was ruined by its high requirements for the day as well as an extremely crappy launch.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore93 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Vanguard more than anything was ruined by its high requirements for the day as well as an extremely crappy launch.
Also true of EQ2 and Age of Conan (among others).

Would be interested to try it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread