Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Is variance still needed?
Yes, it promotes "competition" 75 29.18%
No, its an unneccesary non-classic time sink 182 70.82%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 03:02 AM
Sarnak

Most of us actually support this extended variance thing, and by most i mean TMO...its a great idea. I personally hate sitting at the screen tapping 4-5 over and over and over and over and over and over and over again....all the while my GF is bitching at me, She thinks its the stupidiest thing ever.

All the while taunting the shit out of me...flashing me dancing around naked, but thats when i say fuck it...leave the song on and do what i gotta do.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:08 AM
Sarnak

she cant dance if shes busy makin sandwiches..

nomsayin
Old 02-02-2013, 08:28 AM
Project Manager

I am still down with trying to improve the raid scene. Step by step, if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog
Okay the objective is to create more raid targets and allow more (and different) people the chance at killing them.

Current Variance Timers decreased by half.
+/- 48 hours become 24 hours.
+/- 24 hours become 12 hours.

Originally, the variance timers were created because we were like, wow ok, poopsocking. Let's make it unpoopsockable. Well, the socks became larger.

Simulated Patch Respawns
Once every 7 days, there is an additional, simultaneous spawning of all raid targets that aren't already spawned. These additional spawns are completely random, once per 7 days. This is historically classic due to frequent patches and random crashes which would respawn all npcs. When the simulated patch respawn occurs, there could be a world emote informing players.

Statistically, there are probably hundreds of missing raid spawns. After every crash that eqlive had during this era, they were respawned. An extra chance per week to respawn these npcs is a really good idea imo.

code for idea:
Code:
hidden
Patch Respawns
With every patch, respawntimes = 0. All npcs guaranteed to respawn with every patch.

classic, needed, and only takes a second

FTE Shout
When a raid target is engaged, it will yellowemote/shout the name of the first player (> lvl x?) to aggro (OR the first group to do 5% damage?). This is to allow players to determine first to engage without the need for guides or GMs to be present.

Discuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a continuation from the other thread ( http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=86005 ).

Here is what nilbog and I are currently planning/designing/brainstorming:

We will be cutting the variance in half on the existing raid spawns.

We will be implementing an FTE notice of some sort, whether this is an emote or some type of message.

We will be implementing a simulated patch day respawn. Here is how it will work.

The server will pick one day of each week (Random 1 to 7, Sunday through Saturday). It will then pick a random time. I will not disclose the range of the possible times, but it will only include afternoon and evening hours, so as to give the best chance for the most people to benefit from it.

A serverwide message will go off indicating that the simulated patch day respawn has or will be taking effect shortly. All raid mobs will (either immediately, delayed, or spanned, tbd) respawn.

These respawns will NOT affect the normal respawn times of the mob. For example. If Talendor was killed on Monday, and on death the server determined he would spawn again on Sunday. A simulated patch day occurs on Thursday, his death on Thursday will not reset his scheduled respawn time on Sunday.
Exception: If the mob's spawn time is scheduled to occur within (To be determined, probably either 6 or 12 hours) of the simulated patch day respawn, it will calculate a new spawn time for the mob as it would had he been killed normally, when he dies from the simulated respawn.

Discuss, and know that this system is not final, now or even when it goes live. We will evaluate how it plays out.
Here is the progression of ideas. It started with forum posts, on to internal discussion, then to the Raid Changes thread. Although not yet implemented, this is basically the concept of what will occur. Internally, we haven't changed our mind on this and haven't said anything different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Discuss, and know that this system is not final, now or even when it goes live. We will evaluate how it plays out.
Thread is still open for discussion.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:45 AM
Orc

Cheers to you Nilbog!

-FTE shout/confirmation system will change the game so much for the better. You engage with 20? well you better be able to kill it. As it is, when you have 100+ people poopsocking a target everyone (BDA/FE/TMO... insert random guild) dps's to the max in hope of winning. You add "oh xx guild has it" everyone else backs off, in the hopes of watching the other guild fail. GM's win, Guild's win.

We have beaten this horse to death about 100 times. Need we do 101?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Orc

Everything else is awesome by the way, and I can't wait for it (The Rogean summary) to happen!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Planar Protector

im actually kind of serious about making the variance huge. Think about it. That + simulated patch days and FTE text could make a big difference.

If you have a +/- 120 hr variance on each mob you may actually solve the problem.

No point in socking unless theres 8 or fewer hours left in window, and with such a large variance the chances of that happening are not very big.

Idk, maybe i'm just an idiot and its 6 am and im tired, but it makes sense to me, and since we already have a variance, we might as well have a variance that works.

I really don' think shortening the variance is going to make any difference at all... think about it... people will sock even more if theres less time on the timer....

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk View Post
gotrocks community savior
Old 02-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrocks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you have a +/- 120 hr variance on each mob you may actually solve the problem.
Let's assume that it is possible to kill socking and tracking with sufficiently large variance.

Ok. So now socking and tracking are dead. How do guilds get bosses now? That's right. They zerg even harder than ever before, to give themselves the best odds of having a ranger/druid/bard in the right zone at the right time to notice on track that a boss popped and to be able to hit more targets at once during the repop every week.

A known, weekly repop with the same timers but lessened variance will not eliminate socking or tracking or zerging, but it will drastically increase the amount of raid mobs available to kill every week, with a large number of those mobs being impossible to monopolize by a guild that can "only" field 75 raiders at once. Big and "dedicated" guilds get more loot, but the smaller and casual guilds get some loot... assuming they don't insist on trying to fight for a VS/trak kill or something.

And then if only the training bullshit in VP were outlawed and VP repops with the rest of the mobs, suddenly the top dogs don't just have the no-brainer of "duh, let's kill trak and VS then go after ct/inny while a couple of our members train anyone who gets past the splits in VP" and they might have to settle for fewer targets outside of VP while they make sure they don't lose any PDs or something.

/shrug
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 02-02-2013 at 10:54 AM..
Old 02-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am still down with trying to improve the raid scene. Step by step, if necessary.
This is encouraging.

You could also bait the high end guilds into a self-maintained rotation system by offering to completely remove variance. Albeit it would require a little extra chivalry than what the "elite" guilds have expressed in the recent past.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiwi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You could also bait the high end guilds into a self-maintained rotation system by offering to completely remove variance. Albeit it would require a little extra chivalry than what the "elite" guilds have expressed in the recent past.
That'd be about as successful as trying to bait someone away from five star dinner with a 2-day-old big mac and some cold, soggy fries.

TMO has been successful in this system for a year now? Or longer? Why would they give up their 80-90% success rate for even a 2-way rotation, let alone a larger one, just so that each member can give up a few hours of tracking every week? It's obvious that having to track and camp characters at ledge and sock hasn't and won't wear out people faster than they can replace them... they could continue this system for a long time.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 02-02-2013 at 11:00 AM..
Old 02-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That'd be about as successful as trying to bait someone away from five star dinner with a 2-day-old big mac.
Tastes just as good as it was on the 1st day.
Closed Thread