Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 02:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh you mean this thread that has all of 91 posts in it with the majority of those by the same people? Yeah, I don't think increasing the population by even 100 people would make much of a difference.
Oh ok, so instead of going after people who are stating they want to play the server if the exp rate was increased, you want to instead:

1. Have another website warez the EQ client and put the P99 code on it, exposing themselves to the legal wrath of Sony
2. Then magically scrounge up money to advertise to people who play free MMOs hoping they'd come and play a 10 year old game they've probably never heard of
4. Profit

Great idea.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:36 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unless they are out of pvp range for you... which is just all too likely here, because INEXPLICABLY THERE IS A LEVEL RANGE FOR PVP, allowing all sorts of faggotry like out-of-range healers.

Remove the PvP level range and Play Nice, add teams, add item loot, remove No Drop tag.

I would go apeshit to play on a server like that, and damn the exp.

Obviously you have never seen a book on gamedesign. I dont mean to attack you personally but i can tell you if you do that you will have a huge drop. First of all play nice policy? Who will enforce it? The one GM ? She has already enough to do with all the other crap thats going on. How long do you want her to be online? What about us Euros? Shall we wait till late at night to log on so we can petition if someone is breaking the rules? How about we use recordings everytime we play so we can "prove" if things go wrong when a GM aint online.
I dont mean to disrespect you its just a friendly discussion.

@Hotstud All these "free" mmos are buisnesses and will suck out your money faster than any subscription based mmos. EQ Red is a hobby and will not attract anyone who hasnt any kind of relation to the game.

I personally would exchange some expierence with similar games on PvP basis that are emulators of old mmos. There are UO Freeshards for over a decade with hundreds of players based on Felucca PvP Setting ( Blank loot victims, stat lost etc) or the DAOC emulators. One in particular named "Uthgard " where i played on has arround 1000- 1500 players. I remember they had a very rough start too and as far as i can tell they did they following:

Staff got harder. If you break the rules or used "exploits" they would roll back the characters. If the people complained on the forums and bitched about it they were bannded. At first the server population dropped but word got arround and people started playing. What players need is a straight and firm line of rules, not many but which get dealed with.

They filtert the wayne from constructive feedback, which is done here im sure. They have a clear and easy access to patch information with all changes.

Moderated the forums. After all this is where people look first. They didnt banned players but they certainly wipef the forums clean from all the BS that was posted under false sections and warned people to keep it that way.

They were very strict at beginning but people adapted to it and new players came and knew only these rules and nothing else.
Well the server poped from maybe 100 active up to 1000 it was so successfull that even non-german speaking people started to play so they even opend a international sections in the forum also moderated by english speaking people which added another 400- 500 acive players.

Last but not least they have very strict rules for their staff interacting with players. I know lots of you have friendly ties with the staff here which is ok but naturally you let some people easier from the hook if you have known them for years rather someone who is totally unknown to you. Still if a server would work, staff has to be hard and fair.

I dont say the same could work with red99 but it worked for them. They have a very healthy Server even running in game events maybe some of the general ideas would work here too.

Here the link:
http://uthgard.net/en/rules

I must admit thought the rules are very "german".
Last edited by Snukie; 12-20-2011 at 02:42 AM..
Old 12-20-2011, 02:39 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh ok, so instead of going after people who are stating they want to play the server if the exp rate was increased, you want to instead:

1. Have another website warez the EQ client and put the P99 code on it, exposing themselves to the legal wrath of Sony
2. Then magically scrounge up money to advertise to people who play free MMOs hoping they'd come and play a 10 year old game they've probably never heard of
4. Profit

Great idea.
Increasing the exp rate will not only attract players it will also cause others to quit.

1. They don't have to put the client on the site, only link directly to it, which is not illegal. It's simply overly risky for P99 but wouldn't be for someone not associated with the project.
2. No, I suggest that Project 1999 get listed on the many sites that have listings of free MMORPGs. It doesn't cost anything. I would also suggest a volunteer workforce here that is dedicated to promoting the server by posting on gaming forums, etc.

People here just want their specific idea of EQ PvP. They want item loot, they want no level range, exp bonus, blah blah blah. Wake me up when more than 300 people are even playing at a time and maybe then it will be worth discussing changes that have already proven to be less popular than EQ PvP already was. RZ wasn't as popular as VZ/TZ because it had item loot, SZ wasn't as popular as RZ because of no level range and whatever else it had.

I can guarantee you that in the long run increasing the exp rate will destroy the population here. You're still talking about trying to attract maybe 1-200 people which will result in an "online" population increase of like 20-30 if you're lucky. It's a total fucking joke, give it up.

Fuck if I care though, I'm already done playing here. Go ahead and double the exp rate, add item loot, and everything else that will turn this into VZTZ 2.0 complete with its 20 player population.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:51 AM
Planar Protector

I didn't make this thread to explore what "my specific idea of EQ PvP" is. If that were the case, we'd be playing on a permadeath server with full item loot.

That isn't the point of the thread. We want to get more people playing here. That's the goal.

I think there is a general consensus at this point that we can increase the 1-20'ish exp rate (in some way) and get a lot more casuals playing here, without really hurting the overall "classic" experience that is a lengthy 1-to-50 grind. If you have a valid argument for why levels 1 through 10 should take upwards of fifteen hours to get through, then let's hear it.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:01 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearyxTZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think there is a general consensus at this point that we can increase the 1-20'ish exp rate (in some way) and get a lot more casuals playing here, without really hurting the overall "classic" experience that is a lengthy 1-to-50 grind.
1-20 is probably too much. By level 15 or so the game has essentially "started" with almost all classes having most of their abilities. Again I don't see why people play if they don't enjoy playing, is it really only fun when you hit 50? That's when I lose interest.

Anyway, I think a gradual decrease in the bonus would work best. Like 1-2 you get a 100% bonus, 2-3 you get 90%, 3-4 you get 80%, and so on. This way you quickly fly through those boring as fuck early levels and have your spells and such.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:05 AM
Banned

I suggest a server where on login everyone starts at level 1, but has spells/abilities memmed already. They gain plat from mob and player kills, and about 100x experience, and they can take that plat back to their home base to buy equipment. Skills level up without having to train or scribe, and you gain a bad ass move at level 6, 11, and 16.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:06 AM
Banned

also, it's a team based 5v5 and only one person per team can be a certain class.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:19 AM
Banned

Post number 64279 crying about xp rate. Reds are so hardcore, oh wait...
Old 12-20-2011, 03:22 AM
Banned

Today I had a friend tell me her 13 year old cousin wanted to install the game and play it. I told him to read the guide. He currently is watching T.V.

It's simply too hard to get people to install the game and start playing it. The allure of EQ will exist to players without any exp bonus.

I am all for helping out classes that can't solo. Getting more players on the server will help that.

I don't like exp loss on pvp death, but I'm just one person. I don't think it's smart. It's adding insult to injury imo.

Surprised no one has made an easy step by step to downloading a p99/r99 client and installing it perfect. I saw that one thing was close, I DL it but it doesn't download eq for me. Shame. A little goes a long way.

I could kick down some cash to someone who programs and advertises a simple install for p99/r99 if that's legal / ok with the admins.
Last edited by joel.popick; 12-20-2011 at 03:25 AM..
Old 12-20-2011, 03:35 AM
Banned

no yellow text and global ooc downfall of server.
Closed Thread