Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 12:49 AM
Fire Giant

Both 10ks sold out in under an hour!
Old 01-19-2014, 01:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
3. EQ is definitely the foundation we are building everything upon.

-Brad

Damn I'm good

Can you feel that captain compost?
EQ1 serving as the inspiration or foundation does not mean the game will be EQ1.

Actually, if you watch the Kickstarter Q&A video you'll see Brad explicitly respond to a question about corpse runs and big penalties and other like things causing you to grind which were associated to EQ. He responds by saying difficult is what they want, not tedious or repetitive. In fact, if you watch the rest of the video you'll see it's clear this game is not going to be EQ1. Just a minute or two after his comment about what difficult gameplay means, he also responds to a question about raids and states his aim with this game is to try to merge raiding and grouping in such a way they're not two separate areas. He also mentions adding instances for groups along with an open world - which btw was not in eq1 until ldon.

It's pretty clear to me Vanguard IS fueling some of his ideas too.

If the game was EQ1 exactly with just better graphics, I wouldn't even consider playing. Why? Because I expect a lot more. I expect things to improve and more to be added and for more engaging things. I may favor higher penalties than normal and also prefer less hand holding, but I don't like repetitive gameplay.

He does make a comment at one point that turns me off somewhat. It's something I've heard before. The arguemnt developers use is they don't make NPC's smart because that wouldn't be fun. One common scenario they spin is if NPC's always attacked the player cleric(s) first or if they maximized their dps or healing to prolong a fight. IMHO, a lot of this is based on assumption and until some developers actually try to make a game with smart NPC's, all of this pretentious banter just irritates me and makes me trust them less. I think it's precisely the dumb brained NPC's that leads to the repetitive tactics we're forced to use to kill them.

This guy has too much money and expectations running on him to do anything real risky and that's the crutch in all this. This is why I don't think the kind of games I like to come from any bigger companies or well known people. Once they become big they become risk-averse and stick to the same ol' formulas.

However, I don't care whether I like this game or not, I still want to see Brad succeed. If he doesn't succeed with this one, I hope he succeeds somewhere somehow. Just because I may not like a game, doesn't mean I can't respect the people who made it or the things I do like about it. There's always a lot to like.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 01-19-2014 at 02:04 AM..
Old 01-19-2014, 01:06 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ1 serving as the inspiration or foundation does not mean the game will be EQ1.

Actually, if you watch the Kickstarter Q&A video you'll see Brad explicitly respond to a question about corpse runs and big penalties and other like things causing you to grind which were associated to EQ. He responds by saying difficult is what they want, not tedious or repetitive. In fact, if you watch the rest of the video you'll see it's clear this game is not going to be EQ1. Just a minute or two after his comment about what difficult gameplay means, he also responds to a question about raids and states his aim with this game is to try to merge raiding and grouping in such a way they're not two separate areas. He also mentions adding instances for groups along with an open world - which btw was not in eq1 until ldon.
It's not going to be EQ1, but it's definitely not going to be "We're talking about a game that might have some similarities to EQ1"

put that in your pipe and smoke it
Old 01-19-2014, 01:37 AM
Banned

Didn't put a penny in, not gonna. I still haven't forgotten Vanguard.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:47 AM
Fire Giant

It's amazing how you stand on your principles you should be proud
Old 01-19-2014, 02:20 AM
Planar Protector

There're 1359 backers at the moment. Not enough.

Just think there must be 100,000 people out there that played EQ1 that would like to see what he can do with Pantheon. If they donated $8 each it could be done. If 50,000 donated $16 each it could be done. It's just hard to get everybody in one place and coordinating. The biggest thing is there's no game right now. We can't login and try it and then donate our $8. A lot of it's on faith or maybe even something worse than that.

Look how many people are playing p1999. Every single one should be donating if they can. Granted, p1999 is free, but it's an old game and you never know when sony might decide to finally kick in the doors. People who're on p1999 need to think about the future and about whether they actually like the game. There're plenty of other free games out there that're modern and it's less likely someone will shut down the servers.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 01-19-2014 at 02:40 AM..
Old 01-19-2014, 05:55 AM
Planar Protector

3 people backed $10,000 ... magically they stretched the dungeon making experience another 2 places. Fingers crossed they'll be inspiring and not just clones of Guk, SolB, Shadowfang Keep, etc etc
Old 01-19-2014, 06:24 AM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_mo123 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like how EQ Titanium is on the bookshelf to the top left of the screen.... wonder what he does with that, I bet hes Sirken. http://pjpantheon.com/threads/panthe...ter-q-a-2.112/
if you dont support pantheon, brad will ban your p99 account. thats why he has titanium.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 01-19-2014, 06:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Important

Kickstarter does not guarantee projects or investigate a creator's ability to complete their project. It is the responsibility of the project creator to complete their project as promised, and the claims of this project are theirs alone.
lol'd... and still jumped in and pledged $20
Old 01-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
3 people backed $10,000 ... magically they stretched the dungeon making experience another 2 places. Fingers crossed they'll be inspiring and not just clones of Guk, SolB, Shadowfang Keep, etc etc
Heh, maybe they'll be like those Neverwinter player made exp farm zones. Shit trapped in cages standing around your spawn point that you just aoe'd down. #1 Player made content!
Closed Thread