Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 01:28 PM
Banned

EQ is a game that is as good as whatever YOU bring to it. You cannot fix it, you cannot make it better, it exists exactly as it is.

If you try to update the art? Fail

Try to update the gameplay? Fail

Try to update anything? FAIL

you cant fix it, hence why p99 is so popular, they dont try to fix shit, they'll put it in, no matter how lame and broken it was.

The only progression that would ever work would be Recycle99.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:01 PM
Banned

Will be playing an ogre/sk, name TBD, launch in less then 24 hrs
Old 05-23-2017, 07:42 PM
Large Bat

I'm going to play... just don't know for how long! :P I'm thinking either an SK or a Necro. I am inclined toward Necro only because I've played that class since 2001.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:20 PM
Planar Protector

How did class popularity pan out on the other TLP server that was true box? I'm curious if certain classes end up a dime a dozen, or maybe are very commonly boxed but rarely mained, stuff like that. I don't want to play a chanter if every third character is a chanter using charm to power through content, or a bard if tons of people have a bard boxing mana/regen, or a wizard if lots of people just do the lazy wizard nuke nuke sit afk 10 minute thing with a box... etc.

But I also don't want to pick a class based on what won't be popular and then I realize it's unpopular because mechanics that I don't even know about due to live server changes over the last decade totally change the class from what I expect it to be capable of, etc.

IIRC on P99, for reference, druids and necromancers are the most popular by a fair margin; monk, shaman, enchanter, and cleric also being well represented; ranger and paladin being RARE; and the other classes being less popular but not rare by any stretch.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 05-23-2017 at 08:23 PM..
Old 05-24-2017, 01:24 AM
Planar Protector

Trainwreck.

it's like you make the atomic bomb (server) and you don't want to let other countries (guilds) have nuclear secrets (under the radar information). it's gm's business and no one else's or else everyone gets nuked. letting Iran or North Korea beta test and keep the successful nukes, makes other countries uncomfortable.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How did class popularity pan out on the other TLP server that was true box? I'm curious if certain classes end up a dime a dozen, or maybe are very commonly boxed but rarely mained, stuff like that. I don't want to play a chanter if every third character is a chanter using charm to power through content, or a bard if tons of people have a bard boxing mana/regen, or a wizard if lots of people just do the lazy wizard nuke nuke sit afk 10 minute thing with a box... etc.

But I also don't want to pick a class based on what won't be popular and then I realize it's unpopular because mechanics that I don't even know about due to live server changes over the last decade totally change the class from what I expect it to be capable of, etc.

IIRC on P99, for reference, druids and necromancers are the most popular by a fair margin; monk, shaman, enchanter, and cleric also being well represented; ranger and paladin being RARE; and the other classes being less popular but not rare by any stretch.
Well i don't know about the previous TLP servers but in faceless guild there is a charter showing total classes with top 3 being ENC/CLR/NEC and the bottom 3 being ROG/WIZ/PAL so im assuming thats how the class balance on agnar will be, especially considering how big facelessgaming is.
Last edited by Grubbz; 05-24-2017 at 04:46 AM..
Old 05-24-2017, 05:14 AM
Aviak

Kinda wanna try a raiding wizard but I have heard they suffer the same fate as here... no groups. I don't want to quad slowly on a TLP that is going to be dead in 2 years with a krono economy and people that pump and dump progression then leave. Maybe if I could come back in 4 years to a healthy playerbase but lets be honest TLP servers that aren't "current" are full of creepy loners lost in time and aren't really healthy enough to support raids/economies. These kinda vibes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqel0k0NzNU#t=1m21s

I'd do mage but apparently pets are super fucking gimped and non classic, also that their damage counts as aggro for the mage so they die constantly. Not to mention the nerf that the more pets attacking a mob the gimpier they get and a million other things.

Those are the only 2 classes I could probably stomach and even then the best parts of PoP (slow AA grind, slow gearing, slow progression, bazaar economy being healthy because not everyone was raid geared/being undermined by krono, more socialization, etc) have been easy buttoned so hard that the end of the journey will be a BIS wizard in welfare standing alone in the EC tunnel (or PoK) I never get attached to, maybe a couple kronos to repeat the entire process over again on the "new one" that comes out then. These people effectively skip the most rewarding parts of the game and are max level and raiding within 72 hours (or 40 hours in the case of Vox/naggy on level 34 mages)... there aren't even any cosmetic rewards or epeen scores for doing this that transfer over to the "new" TLP in ~12-18 months.

I love "ladder" style game play in things like PoE or Diablo 2 but they translate horribly to games like EverQuest. It feels so... hollow? like the fun isn't in the journey but the destination. Taking the Ever out of Everquest and turning it into a speed run. Like, it's not even classic so rogues are going to get shit on class balance and everything is predictable. At least PoE had leagues with actual game changing rule sets and MTC rewards that you could take to the next one.

tl;dr
Will I be able to at least get groups on my Wizard or will I be sitting there LFG while people play the same few power gaming min/max classes?
Last edited by Hakubi; 05-24-2017 at 05:37 AM..
Old 05-24-2017, 05:21 AM
Planar Protector

wat about D3

o wait, ruined

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 05-24-2017, 06:00 AM
Fire Giant

Do hybrid tanks work there?
Elfpals guild hmu
Old 05-24-2017, 06:21 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakubi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kinda wanna try a raiding wizard but I have heard they suffer the same fate as here... no groups. I don't want to quad slowly on a TLP that is going to be dead in 2 years with a krono economy and people that pump and dump progression then leave. Maybe if I could come back in 4 years to a healthy playerbase but lets be honest TLP servers that aren't "current" are full of creepy loners lost in time and aren't really healthy enough to support raids/economies. These kinda vibes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqel0k0NzNU#t=1m21s

I'd do mage but apparently pets are super fucking gimped and non classic, also that their damage counts as aggro for the mage so they die constantly. Not to mention the nerf that the more pets attacking a mob the gimpier they get and a million other things.

Those are the only 2 classes I could probably stomach and even then the best parts of PoP (slow AA grind, slow gearing, slow progression, bazaar economy being healthy because not everyone was raid geared/being undermined by krono, more socialization, etc) have been easy buttoned so hard that the end of the journey will be a BIS wizard in welfare standing alone in the EC tunnel (or PoK) I never get attached to, maybe a couple kronos to repeat the entire process over again on the "new one" that comes out then. These people effectively skip the most rewarding parts of the game and are max level and raiding within 72 hours (or 40 hours in the case of Vox/naggy on level 34 mages)... there aren't even any cosmetic rewards or epeen scores for doing this that transfer over to the "new" TLP in ~12-18 months.

I love "ladder" style game play in things like PoE or Diablo 2 but they translate horribly to games like EverQuest. It feels so... hollow? like the fun isn't in the journey but the destination. Taking the Ever out of Everquest and turning it into a speed run. Like, it's not even classic so rogues are going to get shit on class balance and everything is predictable. At least PoE had leagues with actual game changing rule sets and MTC rewards that you could take to the next one.

tl;dr
Will I be able to at least get groups on my Wizard or will I be sitting there LFG while people play the same few power gaming min/max classes?
Your over thinking this big time,

play your wizard, you'll love it and have a great time
Closed Thread