Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Orc

I like most of the revamped zones, didn't even mind Nek 2.0... I hate dark elves and basically just ran through it anyhow.

The one zone I absolutely hate revamped was Freeport. It just sucks now. Just created my account here yesterday, and hope to jump in and start playing. /cheers
Old 11-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Sooo, just to clarify...

I haven't had the chance to actually PLAY p99 yet, I just found it yesterday (woohoo).

This server DOES or DOES NOT use the revamped zones?

I loved the old zones so much (especially Freeport) and I'm really hoping to see the originals.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Fire Giant

It does not use the revamped zones.
Celent - 60 Sorcerer!
Stratah - 58 Troubadour!
Joan - 58 Knight!
Colin - 52 Rake!

Guild Leader of <Eclipse>
Old 11-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Fire Giant

Having played P99 for a week now, I'm convinced that if the original EQ was redone using modern tech, it would be a total win. I'm a game developer, and I'd do everything I could to get on that project.

There is a massive hole in the market right now that no-one seems to have seen. The first company to produce a quality, high-fantasy MMO with depth and space will corner a large niche market (at least). A revamped EQ (EQ2 is misnamed, it's a totally different game) would nail this. Keep the mechanics and the balance as close to the original as possible - be OCD about this. Use art that maintains the feel of the original art, but of much higher resolution. Create animations and effects that keep the feel of the originals but are of much higher quality (especially animations). Reproduce Classic EQ up to Velious and stop. Dig down, not out. Additions should enhance and enriche what was already there, not extend it. The game should in every respect feel to an EQ veteran as if someone wiped their glasses: everything is the same, but suddenly clearer and better and if possible, deeper.

This wouldn't be a WoW killer. It would be for everyone else who either loved EQ or wanted a consistent, challenging world in which to adventure. ADD gamers and cutesy console gamers need not apply. It would not be mass market, it would be intentionally niche market, and uncompromising about that.

If I knew enough money people, and knew someone at Sony, I may even pitch the idea. Done right, it can't lose.
Last edited by t0lkien; 11-22-2010 at 10:13 PM..
Old 11-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lkien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Having played P99 for a week now, I'm convinced that if the original EQ was redone using modern tech, it would be a total win. I'm a game developer, and I'd do everything I could to get on that project.

There is a massive hole in the market right now that no-one seems to have seen. The first company to produce a quality, high-fantasy MMO with depth and space will corner a large niche market (at least). A revamped EQ (EQ2 is misnamed, it's a totally different game) would nail this. Keep the mechanics and the balance as close to the original as possible - be OCD about this - use art that maintains the feel of the original art, but of much higher resolution; animations and effects that keep the feel of the originals but are of much higher quality (especially animations!). Reproduce Classic EQ up to Velious and stop. Dig down, not out.

If I knew enough people, and knew someone at Sony, I may even pitch the idea. Done right, it can't lose.
I always thought that this would be an amazing idea for them to do. I highly highly doubt it though.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess I'm an old fart, but I can't stand the revamped zones... They don't even look like the same zone anymore. Some of the layouts are too dramatically changed for me. I have trouble navigating zones that I used to know perfectly.... I don't mind fancy graphics in new zones, but I wish they'd just let the old zones be what they are....old.
oh hi bb.

I wanted to say that if they kept the original layouts, and just updated the graphics (leaving the classic char models obv), then it would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Hahaha, that is awesome. Right up there with...that one guy's....boat service before the boats worked.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavanah [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I always thought that this would be an amazing idea for them to do. I highly highly doubt it though.
People have bugged Sony about this for years now. Many years.

Sony has only even responded a couple times, and that was to basically say "no", or "it is not possible".

Of course the fact that Project1999 exists, and is as close to the original as it is, proves Sony wrong on that account.

They are not willing to invest big $ in a niche product. Let's face it, EQ is a niche product. It would not appeal to the WoW masses.

Aetherial Mistwalker
Retired Ranger (Xegony)

I had the surname before the sword first appeared
Old 11-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherial [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People have bugged Sony about this for years now. Many years.

Sony has only even responded a couple times, and that was to basically say "no", or "it is not possible".

Of course the fact that Project1999 exists, and is as close to the original as it is, proves Sony wrong on that account.

They are not willing to invest big $ in a niche product. Let's face it, EQ is a niche product. It would not appeal to the WoW masses.
Well, I've pitched it to my ex-Sony friend to see what he thinks.

Honestly, this mad rush for mass market is what is killing good games. Eve Online has proven that there is good solid business in niche market if you do it right. New EQ would be that I believe - niche but solid. you only need a couple of hundred thousand subscribers to make it more than worthwhile. And I think if done right, the game would grow to more than that.

However, I admit it's all hot air right now :/

P.S. One of the best things about the idea project-wise is that so many things are known that are normally unknowns and entail high risk. The complete, tested, proven design is all there. You know the exact scope; every detail actually. Consequently, it wouldn't be as expensive or risky as if it was new IP. That's one of the points I'd use in a full pitch anyway [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by t0lkien; 11-23-2010 at 12:23 PM..
Old 11-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Sarnak

It wasn't all that bad of an idea at the time,
considering the zones weren't used all that much anymore anyways
and really It just made a much bigger zone, and less zone time.
Now what did bother me was all the defiant gear and shit from madman and skeletons/zombies in Nro.
sorta like WTF
Lets all play in n00b mode! yay!

<(-_-<) (>-_-)> <(-_-<) (>-_-)>
Old 11-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Sarnak

Wouldnt it be a grand thing if zones could be redone by talented geeks like they are doing with the original Half-Life;Black Mesa? As the zones and textures are complete, they release them. We just copy the zone file into the directory and continue playing and evenually all the zones would be patched. Classic EQ with clean clear art. Of course everything would have the same dimensions, this way if you choose not to patch your directory, you still have the same gameplay as those who have patched. Kind of like how we can update the textures now but taken way over to the next level. Rounded edges, grass,.....

just reaching here for the sake of conversation really. This would need to be done in a way that no mater if you patched the zones or not nobody would know the difference.

------------
On that note:

Is it possible to load individual texture files into photoshop and improve then ourselves? Like if we have a better "rock" texture, we could replace the files with our own?
Last edited by Engraverwilliam; 11-23-2010 at 12:36 PM..
Closed Thread