Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 07-25-2020, 09:55 PM
Planar Protector

I should note that it took about a minute to startup - got the flash of the cmd prompt window appearing and then lots of disk activity. Probably because it's loading off a 5400RPM drive, or the 1.6GHz Atom cpu. Have you tried launching it (after killing any EQ process, or rebooting) and just waiting a while?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

-Mcoy
Last edited by mcoy; 07-25-2020 at 09:57 PM..
Old 07-25-2020, 10:10 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I should note that it took about a minute to startup - got the flash of the cmd prompt window appearing and then lots of disk activity. Probably because it's loading off a 5400RPM drive, or the 1.6GHz Atom cpu. Have you tried launching it (after killing any EQ process, or rebooting) and just waiting a while?
-Mcoy
That's great to hear! I did the exact same setup and also waited 5-10 minutes. If my Windows 98 try doesn't work, I'll do a format/reinstall and give it another try. Did you do anything besides install Titanium and copy the latest patch notes over and run "Launch Titanium.bat"?
Old 07-25-2020, 10:17 PM
Planar Protector

No, just installed from ISO and then extracted the zipfile. This isn't a clean XP install though - I used this thing for a couple years and it has numerous old games on it. There's a high possibility something I did to get Klingon Academy (picked that one because I remember it requiring some custom dx9 files) working is also affecting P99. I'm looking for the post I used to get KA working since they both released around the same time period.

-Mcoy
Old 07-25-2020, 10:21 PM
Planar Protector

Pretty sure this was it, but it's just a dx9 file in the KA directory so that wouldn't be impacting P99:

http://www.jiri-dvorak.cz/ka/#rendering

My XP is mostly patched - it popped up asking to install 92 updates so I'm guessing it was last used about a year before support for XP dropped. Not sure what patch level you're running, but if it helps I'm obviously not running the last patch bundle.

-Mcoy
Old 07-25-2020, 11:19 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretty sure this was it, but it's just a dx9 file in the KA directory so that wouldn't be impacting P99:

http://www.jiri-dvorak.cz/ka/#rendering

My XP is mostly patched - it popped up asking to install 92 updates so I'm guessing it was last used about a year before support for XP dropped. Not sure what patch level you're running, but if it helps I'm obviously not running the last patch bundle.

-Mcoy
Awesome thanks! I actually have been trying to get KOG running anyways as I love Elite Force. Q'apla!
Old 07-25-2020, 11:58 PM
Planar Protector

I'm slowly working through getting all my Trek games running on my current Win10 system. Bridge Commander works great (but I can't get it to run windowed), Klingon and Starfleet Academy are iffy (sometimes they fire up fine but then crash randomly mid-mission which is very frustrating). Haven't tried Elite Force or EF2 yet. Been poking at ST: Armada II lately.

Note - all of these work fine on that eeepc. That's why I'm thinking something I did to that is also affecting p99's ability to run. Keep working on the Trek games and I'm sure you'll have p99 running as well!

-Mcoy
Old 07-26-2020, 04:35 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
I'm slowly working through getting all my Trek games running on my current Win10 system. Bridge Commander works great (but I can't get it to run windowed), Klingon and Starfleet Academy are iffy (sometimes they fire up fine but then crash randomly mid-mission which is very frustrating). Haven't tried Elite Force or EF2 yet. Been poking at ST: Armada II lately.

Note - all of these work fine on that eeepc. That's why I'm thinking something I did to that is also affecting p99's ability to run. Keep working on the Trek games and I'm sure you'll have p99 running as well!

-Mcoy
So I tried Windows 98 and got the unsupported dll error due to the anticheat, gave up on that. I tried Vista and I get a "illegal instruction 0xc00001d occurred in the application 0x6f34add6". I am about to give up at this point. I'm a little sad considering this is called Project 1999 and it can't seem to handle a computer/OS from 1999. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-26-2020, 05:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Yes it's P99:[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Another Quillmane poacher reveals himself through social media.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:58 AM
Planar Protector

Lol yup - I'm bound there from the last time I tried camping her a couple weeks ago. Every time I leave SK I get a couple zones away and then someone dies in Paw and I end up gating back.

Tried putting together a few hunting groups for her, but other than the initial one I've had no luck.

-Mcoy
Old 07-26-2020, 08:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by armando2002 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I tried Windows 98 and got the unsupported dll error due to the anticheat, gave up on that. I tried Vista and I get a "illegal instruction 0xc00001d occurred in the application 0x6f34add6". I am about to give up at this point. I'm a little sad considering this is called Project 1999 and it can't seem to handle a computer/OS from 1999. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A lot of the random "client fails to launch" errors are related to screen resolution. Have you tried editing the eqclient.ini under the [VideoMode] section, enabling windowed mode, and setting it to something straightforward like 800x600?

-Mcoy