Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
quidado amingos, this thread is now about Tralina.
Who?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

Paladins are my favorite tank in classic.

Unfortunately it's Kunark now and the reign of the Warrior.

lol wut
Old 04-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Planar Protector

Paladins get good again in Luclin, only 10 years away!

lol wut
Old 04-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why so much hate against paladin tanks? I know that warriors are kings of tanking raid content and rightfully so. But I read a lot of negative towards paladin vs warrior/SK tanking. I have a 19 pally as my main right now and I would think the buffs and lay on hands would be welcome along with snap agro. I know LoH has already saved a few CRs for people I've grouped with.
I guess I just dont understand the major downside.
Part of it is because people are recalling things from later on in the game that may not apply yet. A Paladin's main source of aggro is their stuns. Later on in the EQ on a lot of mobs (mostly in Velious), aren't having any of that and cannot be stunned, even partially. The SK can land a partial effect on their snare, and they still have Disease Cloud, plus constant procs going off.

Self Healing is another big issue. A Paladin needs to target himself, cast a spell, then retarget the mob (group heals mitigate this a bit, but anything substantial is going to be single target). This mean either they are missing out on valuable seconds of added DPS/Aggro, or the healer is compensating for the lack of self healing if the Paladin is not doing it himself. Shadowknights lifetap. GG.

Paladins also can't pull as effectively as an SK, meaning a group spot needs to be given up to a dedicated puller. A lot of times it isn't an issue, but if you're running a healer and a bunch of casters.

There are a few threads on knight comparison on www.EvilGamer.net, most likely in the Class Balance section, but I just got home from a camping trip so if you really want the info you're going to have to find it yourself.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobby [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like someone is a lazy ass who cant tell a paladin to not buff them, and would rather AFK autoattacking while watching tv and occasionally hitting the 4 key to backstab.

What paladin is buffing on raids without getting tells anyways? Probablly the guy who fails at his job just as bad as your rogue.

I can make hate posts as well!
If you look at the EQLive Paladin forums, you will see the majority of them really are so stupid and clueless about the game that you will wonder how they made it to raid level. It's always been like that with the Paladin community. There have been a few good ones on live (Mustadio, Rabide...I actually think that was it) but the majority of Paladins are just terrible.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobby [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like someone is a lazy ass who cant tell a paladin to not buff them, and would rather AFK autoattacking while watching tv and occasionally hitting the 4 key to backstab.

What paladin is buffing on raids without getting tells anyways? Probablly the guy who fails at his job just as bad as your rogue.

I can make hate posts as well!
Negative son! Every paladin I told to not buff me would just buff me more they loved making me click it off every 10 minutes (blame the player not the class? Bullshit!)

and I thought paladins were the only class that could afk with their easymode aggro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Much love for hobby though! =/

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 04-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Fire Giant

<3 Those who know how to play a paladin are those who are the most revered.

Except, due to WoW...paladins are considered the easy class thus attracting dumbass kids.

Ah well.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
<3 Those who know how to play a paladin are those who are the most revered.

Except, due to WoW...paladins are considered the easy class thus attracting dumbass kids.

Ah well.
But they all have cool names like

Arrthas
Arthass
Arthiss
Arthess
Arthadin

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 04-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Sarnak

No one mentioned that root agro > stun/blind until like 48+. Rogues have a right to be pissed if the mob is bouncing all over before that level range.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Orc

One of the biggest issues throughout general gameplay is that paladin stuns have a cooldown and cost a good deal more mana whereas a shadowknight can just spam disease cloud (or clinging darkness if so inclined). Flash of light works for aggro in the lower levels, but it doesn't generate as much threat, it just affects who the mob will target for the duration of the spell. This means later on when mobs resist a lot, it'll become less reliable for aggro. So, when a paladin has to rely on mana-heavy stuns, they have to have clarity. If they can't get that, they can't tank without downtime. If they have to pull as well, spending mana on pacify and getting in less medding time, it becomes a problem.

Paladins also do terrible damage. Their utility is better than a shadowknight, but the latter can put out reasonable damage for a tank if they have clarity or mana song. In trivial content where the group just grinds dark blues with no real chance of dying, a shadowknight makes the killing go a little faster. This is usually not enough to make most people specifically pick an SK over a PAL, but it can be a factor.
Last edited by Hithrohir; 04-03-2011 at 09:53 PM..
Closed Thread