Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 01:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephirith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think black pride, hispanic pride, or any racial pride is equally illegitimate for the same reasons
For my personal opinion, I think society looks down on pride in being white, but accepts pride in being hispanic, black etc. Just look at hispanic history month and black history month. I don't understand why this is the case, and I do think that it furthers racism and does not help dissolve it.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:52 AM
Banned

fuckin ******s and spics get their own month where's the master race's month??????
Old 10-29-2012, 01:53 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For my personal opinion, I think society looks down on pride in being white, but accepts pride in being hispanic, black etc. Just look at hispanic history month and black history month. I don't understand why this is the case, and I do think that it furthers racism and does not help dissolve it.
Agreed. I meant to say:

Quote:
I think black pride, hispanic pride, or any racial pride should be equally illegitimate for the same reasons
Old 10-29-2012, 01:54 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
fuckin ******s and spics get their own month where's the master race's month??????
Whichever month has Chinese new year
Old 10-29-2012, 03:51 AM
Sarnak

What I want to know is the entire purpose of this thread?

Anyone can tell you that pride is a bad thing that leads to even more terrible things. It is why it is one of the 7 deadly sins. This shit is weak..... and dumb..... and if anyone gets butthurt by what I am saying then please see this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpEwKz6YCEs
Old 10-29-2012, 04:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexical [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What I want to know is the entire purpose of this thread?
Just to make people think and to see how people feel about this. I was thinking about it the other night and basically my feel is that any mention of pride in being white is frowned upon and looked at as a fringe part of society ala white supremacists. On the other hand I also think that pride in being black / latino is not looked at as fringe, but instead it is looked at as a good thing and supported by the media.

Why is it weak and dumb to bring something like this up? I think it matters, a lot more than whatever your stupid video does. Maybe you need to wake the fuck up.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:17 AM
Banned

Secondly to address your question of why I brought this up Lexical: I believe that the way society looks at certain views affects whether or not people hold onto such views. People are naturally followers, and if society in general looks negatively on a viewpoint, then people will stray from that viewpoint. Now in today's world there is a bit of a chicken and egg problem in that there is at least a question over whether the media tells society what its views should be, and that the what is put on the media is not controlled by the majority of society.

In any case if white people are pushed away from being proud in the heritage I think that is a disservice toward them when other races feel such pride. Certainly at least people should not be made to feel guilty because of their skin color, and I don't want to say it has gone that far but some will argue it has.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think its a bit stupid to be "proud" of your race, something completely out of your control. Be proud of personal accomplishments instead. Having said that I don't think you can say one group is allowed to be proud of their race and another isn't.
This is a very common argument that really doesn't make sense to me. While not in your personal control, your parents on the other hand were in complete control. Their decision to further their family and race in creating you was definitely not random. They are a part of you, as is their parents and so forth.

Is it also stupid to be proud of, say, the lunar landing? You had no hand in it, but it is definitely a part of you. What emotion should people feel?

Landazar [50 Magician]
Old 10-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Kobold

Race is an unscientific and almost entirely arbitrary categorization. The language we use to discuss race is based primarily on the work of Johann Friedrich Blumenbach in the 18th century. His beliefs were basically opposite what we now know about human evolution and the differences between genotype and phenotype. We are all much more alike than we are different.

If you are fortunate enough to have come from a good family and your parents stayed together and raised you well as a team, the emotion you should feel is called gratitude. The emotion you feel about incredible accomplishments like the lunar landing is called wonder.

Here is a definition of pride: a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired. Feeling pride in things which one had no direct contribution toward strikes me as involving megalomania and magical thinking. The American dream used to be working hard, contributing, and building a nice life. Now being a rentier and living off the work of others seems to be the dominant goal.

You really, really didn't build that.
Closed Thread